STAR Education

www.starinc.org
  www.starinc.org
There are newer employer reviews for STAR Education

Get paid for a while and then leave.

Current Employee - Site Director
Current Employee - Site Director

I have been working at STAR Education part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Health benefits are good
*Work on very interesting, strange projects.
*Meet a lot of youthful, interesting people (very high turnaround)
*Very high schedule flexibility (you can stay home whenever you need without pay, which is great if you have a kid who is often sick)

Cons

*You will be paid very little and never get a raise (in the last 4 years, there have been no raises. I know employees who have been here for 8 years with no raise).
*You will be required to volunteer to work without pay so many hours per year.
*You will be required to attend mandatory training where people do little more than talk about their childhood and bask in uncomfortable silences. This is not a joke, or an exaggeration.
*You can be fired on a whim. This has happened in the past and continues to happen.
*Employees have been verbally bashed by management after they've quit/left. THIS IS ILLEGAL.
*Interruptions are common. The preferred method of getting ahold of someone is to scream their name at the top of your lungs until they come to your cube. If they aren't in the building, continue yelling - regardless of other people working.
*Nepotism is rampant. I cannot go into detail without breaking glassdoor's terms of service.
*Management sees you as expendable. In fact, the preferred method of motivation is: "We love our teachers. We love you so much, and you love us! But if you make even one tiny mistake, we'll fire you! We've done it before - we've fired teachers who we were really married to! And let me tell you something - if a kid says you did anything wrong - even if you didn't! - we'll fire you! We can't have that, and I'm sorry, you're gone."
*Incompetence is rampant. People do not rise through the ranks because they're skillful. Expect to spend a lot of time picking up other people's messes.
*Expect to not get paid, to get paid the wrong rate, or to 'lose hours' on your timesheet. Accounting also will never apologize, and will not answer more than one question per email. Nor will they pay any attention to your puny 'spelling' or 'grammar,' and any issues you have will get lost in translation.
*There is very, very little parking at HQ. Try to spend most of your time on site.
*The company shuts down and does not pay employees over winter break. You will have to use your vacation time for that.
*If you are a teacher during the summer, you will be asked to work more than twice as many hours for half pay. And it's much, much more difficult.
*There are so, SO many more reasons for you to not work here, each one more impossible than the last. I cannot list them all.

Management's HR methods are not effective. Morale is in the toilet - and you'll never know, because your stance on complaints is "act happy or we'll fire you." Stop firing people for not saying "good morning." And please, PLEASE stop abusing the intercom. Boil your message down to a short sentence, say it, repeat it, and hang up.

19 Other Employee Reviews for STAR Education (View Most Recent)

Great Place to Work For the Most Part

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education

Pros

Amazing place to work with great mission and wonderful people

Cons

Communication and planning; many things would get done sooner, smoother, and cheaper with greater attention to both.

Overhaul the corporate structure and communication system

positive

I have been working at STAR Education

Pros

Opportunities, challenges, flexibility, team environment

Cons

I do not have anything to say

There are newer employer reviews for STAR Education