STAR Education

www.starinc.org

Get paid for a while and then leave.

Site Director (Current Employee)

Pros*Health benefits are good
*Work on very interesting, strange projects.
*Meet a lot of youthful, interesting people (very high turnaround)
*Very high schedule flexibility (you can stay home whenever you need without pay, which is great if you have a kid who is often sick)

Cons*You will be paid very little and never get a raise (in the last 4 years, there have been no raises. I know employees who have been here for 8 years with no raise).
*You will be required to volunteer to work without pay so many hours per year.
*You will be required to attend mandatory training where people do little more than talk about their childhood and bask in uncomfortable silences. This is not a joke, or an exaggeration.
*You can be fired on a whim. This has happened in the past and continues to happen.
*Employees have been verbally bashed by management after they've quit/left. THIS IS ILLEGAL.
*Interruptions are common. The preferred method of getting ahold of someone is to scream their name at the top of your lungs until they come to your cube. If they aren't in the building, continue yelling - regardless of other people working.
*Nepotism is rampant. I cannot go into detail without breaking glassdoor's terms of service.
*Management sees you as expendable. In fact, the preferred method of motivation is: "We love our teachers. We love you so much, and you love us! But if you make even one tiny mistake, we'll fire you! We've done it before - we've fired teachers who we were really married to! And let me tell you something - if a kid says you did anything wrong - even if you didn't! - we'll fire you! We can't have that, and I'm sorry, you're gone."
*Incompetence is rampant. People do not rise through the ranks because they're skillful. Expect to spend a lot of time picking up other people's messes.
*Expect to not get paid, to get paid the wrong rate, or to 'lose hours' on your timesheet. Accounting also will never apologize, and will not answer more than one question per email. Nor will they pay any attention to your puny 'spelling' or 'grammar,' and any issues you have will get lost in translation.
*There is very, very little parking at HQ. Try to spend most of your time on site.
*The company shuts down and does not pay employees over winter break. You will have to use your vacation time for that.
*If you are a teacher during the summer, you will be asked to work more than twice as many hours for half pay. And it's much, much more difficult.
*There are so, SO many more reasons for you to not work here, each one more impossible than the last. I cannot list them all.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement's HR methods are not effective. Morale is in the toilet - and you'll never know, because your stance on complaints is "act happy or we'll fire you." Stop firing people for not saying "good morning." And please, PLEASE stop abusing the intercom. Boil your message down to a short sentence, say it, repeat it, and hang up.

Great Place to Work For the Most Part

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education

Pros: Amazing place to work with great mission and wonderful people Cons: Communication and planning; many things would get done sooner, smoother,… Advice to Senior Management: Overhaul the corporate structure and communication system Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Poor Business Ethics

Teacher (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

I worked at STAR Education

Pros: It is a good opportunity for those looking for a… Cons: Poor business ethics such as hiring and management communication. Advice to Senior Management: When hiring someone find out if they are truly fit for the position. Do not hire… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on STAR Education.

Worked for STAR Education? Contribute to the Community!