Great work\life balance.

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in North Charleston, SC
Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in North Charleston, SC

I worked at STG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

Client had a lot of political polices that were hard to meet!

Advice to Management

Need to be more flexible.

reviews filtered by
  1. Loved Working There

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

I worked at STG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

STG management listened to their people and really seemed to care about developing employees and making them more than just slot-fillers. The salaries were fair and upper management was very approachable. Lots of opportunity for advancement for motivated and ambitious people. This was the only contractor I've worked for where I truly felt like an employee of a company and not just bound to the government portion of the contract.

Cons

The follow through on paperwork was pretty bad, mistakes were made frequently by upper management. The fact that STG deals with primarily contract work meant that you really were only an employee until another contract was awarded to another company. My time with STG was much shorter than I would have liked. When our contracted was awarded to another company, STG expressed a desire to move some of us to other contracts so that we could remain employees but ultimately it never happened due to the lack of available positions and not enough money on those other contracts.

Advice to Management

The culture of making people lifelong employees is a great start to becoming more than just another temporary staffing agency. Work on building loyalty to the company that supersedes the loyalty to the contract. When a contract is up for bid, have a contingency plan for retaining good people from that contract instead of letting them slip through your fingers to the next lowest bidder.

Met some good people and had access to equipment for self training.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at STG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, from a technical standpoint I had access to a lot of equipment that aided in training myself. I was able to participate in some pretty cool projects.

Cons

Low salary, no quality formal training offered. Benefits were not good but they were adequate. Middle management doesn't really work for their employees, just seemed to do the bare minimum. There was a lot of nepotism where I was.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to make themselves available more, talk to individual contributors, get their feedback. Make formal training a requirement but also provide it. Make the quality individual contributors want to stay with the company. Don't just try to attract good employees, make it a goal to get and retain the best and brightest in the business.