There are newer employer reviews for STIHL Incorporated

Middle and top management very political and disloyal to subordinates, good product line, good opportunities for females

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Virginia Beach, VA
Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Open opportunities for promotion for professional females

Cons

Very harsh middle / upper management style, high turnover in purchasing and engineering

Advice to Management

Middle management team to drive out fear to allow the employee talent base to flourish

Other Employee Reviews for STIHL Incorporated

Overall a good place to start a career

Former Employee - Production Assembly in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Production Assembly in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Stihl provided a good family environment with decent wage and benefits

Cons

I wish there was more room for advancement for those without a college degree

Advice to Management

N/A

I love my job!

Current Employee - A Operator Plastics Department in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - A Operator Plastics Department in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

In a nutshell, the company has an incredibly sound structure which to me means that as long as I go to work and do my job, there will be a place for me to go to work and do my job until such time as I retire. Stihl survived the recent economic downturn and I feel it is sound enough to survive most anything that happens in the American workplace. Great benefits, great 401k plan, they give several bonuses per year, good working conditions and open door policy with management which actually listens to your ideas and concerns. If all goes well for my plan, I plan to retire from Stihl.

Cons

There is not enough parking for all of the employees and you cannot have a cell phone anywhere on the inside of the Stihl buildings which can be a pain in the neck. The cafeteria should stay open all night to accomodate the third shift and the twelve hour employees, at least with pizza, burgers and beverages.

Advice to Management

Consider ways to create more parking, or possibly a commuter type form of transportation for local employees which would free up parking space for long distance employees. Possibly an open discussion meeting with upper management once per year.