Assistant librarian

Former Intern - Assistant Librarian in Albany, NY
Former Intern - Assistant Librarian in Albany, NY

I worked at SUNY Albany as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Todd working environment, friendly folks to work with. Weekly report to the supervisor so there was good communication with management. I got to choose when to work during the week so the balance between work and life was pretty good.

Cons

Nothing really bad for my position.

Advice to Management

Something has to be done to those who does not show up on time or those who does not stick to their schedule.

Other Employee Reviews for SUNY Albany

Overall, a pretty good place to work. Not the best option for those starting out.

Former Employee - Lead Programmer/Analyst (SL-3) in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Programmer/Analyst (SL-3) in Albany, NY

I worked at SUNY Albany full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, lots of time off. A lot of good ,talented people work here.

Cons

Very little room for professional growth (I worked in IT). It's a state job. You could do the same thing for the rest of your life. Lots of politics that come into play. A lot of dead weight (people that are underperforming or just not doing their job but are kept around by the Union and tenure process) Salaries are low for the area (IT). There is no sense of culture at all.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees career growth. Not all of us want to do the same job for 20 years. We have dreams, goals, drive, and ambition. Recognize this and allow us to grow or your young talent will keep leaving for the private sector.

2. Had a great time!

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Albany, NY

I worked at SUNY Albany part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, decent salary, good benefits. The people, in general, are very nice, and there is ALWAYS room to move up the hierarchy.

Cons

At my specific job, some of the clients were really...dumb. Sorry to put it this way, but that's the case. And I guess it's not specifically this employer, but all over the world! Maybe it's the sort of person I am, but it's not stupidity that pisses me off, but the ability to acknowledge that your stupid, and still not doing anything about it. Oh well.

Advice to Management

Make sure people don't take advantage of you! Some of the other employees were getting paid while not performing, or at least severely underperforming. This should NOT be allowed at a world-class research institution.