SUNY Buffalo

There are newer employer reviews for SUNY Buffalo

Graduate Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Buffalo, NY
Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at SUNY Buffalo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The grad school is awesome. The chemistry department that I work in is has approximately 150 graduate students. The compensation that the grad students get is pretty good for a place like Buffalo, where the expenses are pretty low compared to big cities.

Cons

The climate is definitely the worst thing about Buffalo. Long winters and short summers. The compensation for the professors is quite low, because its a state university. Because of this they are not able to retain talented scientists from being nicked by other big universities.

Professors should get better incentives to stay put for a long time. That is what builds the reputation of the University as a center for good science (not just the buildings and infrastructure).

187 Other Employee Reviews for SUNY Buffalo (View Most Recent)

Great

I have been working at SUNY Buffalo

Pros

You work with great people and you learn a lot in the process, you get leadership training, as well as the room and board. There is a great culture and community. I love being an RA at UB. There is flexibility in being an RA but you have to keep in mind that you have to balance your school and your work. It was more work than I thought it would be going in but I got to learn more than I expected as well.

Overall very positive

Cons

You have to in the work, there's some administrative work involved on top of your school work

A Pleasant Experience

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Amherst, NY

I have been working at SUNY Buffalo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They offer a generous hourly pay for the academic tutor position at UB Alumni Arena. The staff are friendly and the tutees (Most of them at least) do care about learning.

Cons

Some times the students do not show up to their tutor appointments. Other than that, This place is a really nice place to work for.

There are newer employer reviews for SUNY Buffalo