Management values words over action and it shows

Current Employee - Mid-level Store Management  in  Virginia Beach, VA
Current Employee - Mid-level Store Management in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay scale is reasonable & competitive in industry.

Cons

At dept. manager level or above the unofficial policy seems to be to make sure a person's employment is well away from home, even if there are a dozen stores closer to home. Not sure what the point of this is. Same with the 'never two days off in a row unless you're on vacation' semi-official (actually reflected in official scheduling advice from District level) policy.

Hours cutting is a constant & announced with copious spin. When they hit bottom on cuts and inevitable poor performance inevitably cuts into customer satisfaction ratings (employee morale is not a consideration), a few hours are trickled back in grudgingly and without fanfare until a few months go by and the same hours cuts or deeper ones are made again.
While this cycle grinds on, department heads are told to pick up the slack. To accomplish this their own hours are revised from... 40 hours to 40. Company CONTINUALLY pursues a cycle of loading on responsibilities to department heads (you know what? It's not just the heads. it's all of the employees) assuming the new tasks take zero hours to complete, firing a few for 'poor performance' for not getting them all done, then backing off.
You know not to say anything about it, because then you're a 'nay-sayer' and in line for the next spate of poor performance terminations before someone realizes (of course and always, without admitting it) that they've loaded too many tasks on to the 'to do' lists.
This means a break of a couple of months before the next bright idea comes down the pike and increases workloads again, and the next round of employee turnover begins.

Funny how the latest wave of layoffs and hours cuts coincide with giving the new CEO a package worth roughly 5 million dollars the first year alone. If you think the employees are not noticing that with resentment you're fooling yourselves.
Also, I've noticed in the grocery business that there's a very strong tendency to treat people below the level of store director/manager that they're idiots who wouldn't be working in grocery if they had any brains... so they're stuck; 'if you don't like it, quit'.
It's not serving you well. Simply telling people, 'you are professionals' does not make them feel like professionals. Treating them like professionals might work, but I have yet to see that happen.