SUPERVALU

www.supervalu.com
  www.supervalu.com
There are newer employer reviews for SUPERVALU

Good Things are Around the Corner at SuperValu...And They TRULY Are! (Jewel-Osco)

Current Employee - Osco-Drug Supervisor in Woodridge, IL
Current Employee - Osco-Drug Supervisor in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at SUPERVALU

Pros

SuperValu tries hard to recognize those who excel within the Company, while at the same time congratulating every person on his or her individual merit. They succeed in finding new and interesting ways to make everyone feel like a family, and their zero tolerance policy for misbehavior/misconduct ensures that each employee walks into work each day feeling good about working with the Company. Does it work all the time, every second? No. The continuity comes from each associate to make the weakest link become the strongest, and SuperValu helps each person realize that potential.

Cons

I work especially hard at my job, but for the level of skill one obtains and professional quality one absorbs, it still will not gain one a high-earning salary if it's not coupled with a bachelor's degree or higher. The Compay is always willing to promote within, yet their salaries do not offer all that much at store level. One has to enter the Corporate sector in order to gain that level of earning power.

Then again, money doesn't buy happiness or peace of mind, so, money issues aside, there are no other significant downsides of working for SuperValu.

We need to RECOGNIZE ASSOCIATES more often! Not in a BIG way. In small, incremental ways. The kind that slowly, but surely boost an associate to full working potential. I receive much "congratulations" on my own work, but many of my colleages complain of feeling under-appreciated. That's not fair, and while I give them my appreciation, it's not the same if it doesn't come from the "higher-ups." I'm simply a supervisor. Hearing a sincere, and prompt "GREAT JOB" is worth more than some might think to a fellow colleage (and in my world, we're ALL fellow colleagues!).

340 Other Employee Reviews for SUPERVALU (View Most Recent)

This ship is turning in the right direction, but it doesn't turn on a dime.

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SUPERVALU

Pros

First, I work in the Own Brands Department of Supervalu, which is the CPG/Brand Management group in charge of managing the Private Label business. We operate somewhat independently of the core merchandising function of the retail business and there are significant differences in quality of life, work life balance and the overall experience. The differences are what you'd expect...merchants and brand marketers are completely different animals. The private label area is an overall good space to work in. Leadership is competent and we've been successful relative to the rest of the business. If you produce results, management doesn't overly interfere or micromanage. I've never been hassled on vacation requests and we have flexibility to come and go...again, assuming you perform.

Cons

It is retail and led by merchandising which creates frequent 'firedrills' and overall shortsightedness. The efforts to centralize 8+ retail banners located throughout the US also causes some ambiguity and thicker than necessary layers of beurocracy.

Understanding there are going to be pains as the company moves through centralization, communicate this to board and shareholders. Take lumps once, get them behind and then watch the growth. We talk about our "consumer focus" but walk a completely different direction. We remain too focused on buying from the right vendors and not nearly focused enough on selling the right products...ie those that people want to buy.

Supervalu = Micromanagers

Current Employee - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SUPERVALU

Pros

Location, and they're actually hiring in certain departments. The free samples and United Way sales help to save money on your grocery bill. Hourly people also are allowed to get overtime pay, which helps.

Cons

Micromanagement, micromanagement, micromanagement! That about sums it up.

Supervalu can be highly demanding. If you work there during a busy period, expect to put in some OT. On the bright side, if you're hourly, you'll get paid for it.

The dress code is a tad strict, even on casual days.

Please stop micromanaging us! I know I'm not the only one there who is sick of it. And loosen up on the dress code on Fridays, please.

There are newer employer reviews for SUPERVALU