There are newer employer reviews for SUPERVALU

Pathway to success is headed for a cloud of confusion

Former Employee - IT Lead  in  Boise, ID
Former Employee - IT Lead in Boise, ID

I worked at SUPERVALU

Pros

Mostly good people with good intentions but every one thought there position and project was the most important task at hand.I started as an Albertsons employee, IT department of 80. Merged with American stores, IT department of 600. Merged with SVU and total of 1500 related IT employees all retained.

Cons

Most IT employees were very teritorial about there positions. Butting heads was all that was acomplished until mid level management stepped in. But they had to have upper levell mangements approval. It turned in to a beurocratic nightmare to accomplish anything.
Every quarter 100 to 200 jobs eliminated or sent to India. I saw IT go from a lean machine that could react to market changes to a bloated organization where no one could make decisions unless it was to buy software that never worked. First to market for new IT solutions meant buying something and spending years to modify and learn the pachage.
100 pages of paper work needed to make a simple change plus going through 5 approval phases that could each take weeks. Indian IT people were very good and worked for about a fourth of the price. But did not understand the business and needed very complex and detailed designs in order to produce a work order.

Cut the fat and management levels. Make processes simpler and not more complex. Bloated processes are a result of the CYA attitude every one has when all of there jobs are at stake. Figure out how to be a nimble machine. Do one IT System and any company that does not like it can find other support. Trying to be all things to all people never works.

323 Other Employee Reviews for SUPERVALU (View Most Recent)

MaMa Said There'd Be Days Like This, MaMa Said

Current Employee - Transportation  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Transportation in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at SUPERVALU

Pros

Decent compensation and half decent medical benefits are 2 of the few reasons to work at
    SUPERVALU. These are for the most part results of organized labor.

Cons

The downsides are far more greater--almost like delivering to a retailer and not seeing a mouse
    somewhere in their backroom.

Management needs to be more like managers and less like bosses. Incompetence and
    "Balldroppers" both need to be identified and eliminated. Working with labor would also
    be a step toward positive direction.

I worked for 15 years. I liked working with the retailers, and the pay was great. The management was really poor.

Former Employee - Sales & Promotions Specialist  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Sales & Promotions Specialist in Green Bay, WI

I worked at SUPERVALU

Pros

The pay was good. I did't have to be in the office much.

Cons

The days were long. When you were home you had to do paperwork. Felt like I was working 24/7.

Make sure when you put people in the position to supervise they know the job.

There are newer employer reviews for SUPERVALU

Worked for SUPERVALU? Contribute to the Community!