Team lead software developer

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Good and stable company to for.

Cons

Company is lagging other competitors.

reviews filtered by
  1. I've been a QA engineer for almost 2 years at Sabre.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Kraków (Poland)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Kraków (Poland)

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the very top is the benefits package, especially the healthcare. Sabre pays for a VIP package at a private medical center for every employee who must only cover the tax. I've been to a number of specialized medical examinations and I never had to pay a penny.

Sabre is an immensely family-friendly company with events and bonuses for parents and their children. The working hours are very flexible.

The technologies that dominate at Sabre are fairly modern. Most of them are around Java and C++ but I know people who quit after being forced to work e.g. with ancient COBOL.

Cons

Career path for QA engineers is quite limited. After reaching a senior level most of them become development supervisors leaving their QA expertise behind.

I've heard from other teams that working overtime, working during weekends and PTO cancellation is a common practice, which is clearly the result of poor management. Fortunately I haven't experienced anything like that in my previous projects.

There is not enough space on the car park and the office itself (Krakow R&D office). Many employees are forced to share their seats with other folks, possibly seating at different places every day. Not to mention the time wasted for looking for an unoccupied desk and setting up the equipment every morning.

Other than that it is a typical US corporation with fairly bureaucratic procedures and corporate overhead such as countless all-hands meetings.

Advice to Management

Reduce corporate bureaucracy to really allow for innovative ideas to emerge.

2. Senior Business System Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Kraków (Poland)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Kraków (Poland)

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

wide selection of projects, interesting subject matter areas

Cons

-external people hired to occupy higher positions instead of promoting company people
    -when you have conflict with your manager, company will not help you. they will support your manager.
    -company promotes managers without subject matter expertise or any knowledge, who tell technical people how they should do their job, which has really bad results.
    -long working hours without any compensation.
    -working weekends, bad work/life balance
    -very difficult to get any salary increase

Advice to Management

-appreciate your employees
    -make sure work/life balance is healty