Sacramento Municipal

www.smud.org

Great pay and benefits, miserable work environment

Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsSMUD offers some of the best salaries and benefits packages in the Sacramento region. Training opportunities are extensive, and their aging workforce promises to offer new employees significant opportunities for advancement over the coming 5 years. It is also highly stable - SMUD is probably the only government organization that has not suffered as a result of the economic collapse and ensuing recession.

ConsThis is all true for those that can bear the oppressive top-down management structure, excessive hours, and disregard for employee satisfaction.

I've worked as a senior-level professional in a variety of organizations of varying sizes. I have found SMUD's culture and management to be singularly top-down and rife with internal political conflicts at the supervisor and non-supervisory levels. Colleagues shirk responsibility and are often unresponsive or highly sensitive (and defensive) to requests for assistance that clearly fall within their job description. This makes it needlessly stressful and time-intensive to complete even the simplest tasks.

At the same time, middle management speaks to staff with a pedantic and demeaning tone and obsessively focuses on metrics to measure and monitor employee performance, as well as internet usage reports that track each website a staff visits. SMUD also has high overtime expectations (staff often work on their 9/80 day off and vacation requests are frequently denied). Supervisors often spend weeknights and weekends responding to emails and completing assignments.

Also, as a courtesy to whoever may consider working at SMUD, I'll let it be known that they block personal email. As a past supervisor, I have managed based on how my staff meet and exceed expectations. The focus should be on the work completed, not on the number of websites a staff visits.

These attempts to measure and monitor employees create a culture of control and management by intimidation ('do this or you'll receive discipline or lose your bonus'). It does not encourage professionalism and excellence.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite what management proclaims, SMUD is NOT a great place to work. In my opinion, if SMUD wants to attract and retain a younger workforce going forward, it will need to revisit the quality of life that it offers to staff while they are at work.

Telling workers that they need to be accountable won't create accountability.
Give workers ownership over their work and manage with respect instead of intimidation.
Promote work/life balance.
Finally, staff reviews should be based on a supervisors' knowledge of the work that staff completes, not from software programs and internet usage reports. Supervisors are overloaded with bureaucratic tasks and training and are out of touch with the staff they should be supporting, supervising, and mentoring.

Have a Career and a Life!

Enterprise Technology Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Municipal

Pros: Killer benefits: starts with 3 weeks of vacation/year building up to 6 weeks. Can carry up to 12 weeks. 13 days of sick… Cons: People who work here tend to stay, if you're looking to move up fast, you might be disappointed.… Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Overall, a good place to work

I have been working at Sacramento Municipal full-time

Pros: Smart employees who care about what they do; interesting work; good… Cons: Work overload, with too many projects, too many project managers, and not enough staff in some… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sacramento Municipal.

Worked for Sacramento Municipal? Contribute to the Community!