Safeco

www.safeco.com
  www.safeco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Safeco

Well run company and nice working environment.

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Safeco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice people. Also 40 hour weeks contribute to a good work and life balance. 401k plan is good. If you like the insurance industry then this company will provide you with an opportunity to learn.

Cons

very structured environment that sometimes inhibits getting things done quickly

Listen to your employees for their good ideas

114 Other Employee Reviews for Safeco (View Most Recent)

Not really that great of a company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Safeco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

OK Benefits, good people to work with, flexible hours, clean work environment, time off earned for every month worked, Good central location for workplace.

Cons

Micro-management in the call center. If you quit they will withhold your final paycheck at their discretion, no work-life balance, favoritism; it's not what you know it's who you know. High turnover rates.

I would suggest changing core values of how employees are treated. I can't speak of other locations and departments because they seem okay from what I've seen. I know there are a lot of people looking to change companies as soon as the economy improves and if there are either no changes to the current management and employee treatment.

A nice place to waste your life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to learn about insurance. If you just want a job where you can get lost in the shuffle and say the right things to get along, this company is for you. I don't know if this is a pro or a con, but I have never worked with so many great people (non- management) who are so miserable at work. The job is really thankless. I kind of feel like we're all wasting our lives together. Misery loves company I guess. The best course of action is to use them as a training ground and then leave.

Cons

Management turnover, unclear goals (goals are constantly changing for no apparent reason), a promotion is a moving target, preference towards younger people and males (over 40's are passed up for special projects and committees even though they have the most knowledge), so-so compensation. They pay you a living wage, but barely if you have a family. Everything seems to be a popularity contest. The same people win "awards" time after time. The managers will take the agents' word for anything without hearing your side of it. There is so much emphasis on "our agency partners," that the employee is made to feel like a second-class citizen. Your manager definitely DOES NOT have your back.

Matt Nickerson is one of the most pompous people I've ever met. Every speech or presentation ends in him talking about himself. If an employee asks him a question he doesn't like or can't answer, he blows them off - rudely. It makes you afraid to ask him anything. Whatever he's making, he's over-paid. His underlings are also over-paid so they love their jobs and will bow to the almighty dollar every time. Again, management does not have your back here at Safeco.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeco