Problably one of the best out there (compensation and schedule flexability.

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Reno, NV
Current Employee - Pharmacist in Reno, NV

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Flexability!! This is the most flexable position I have looked at. We are allowed to work out our own schedule with the other pharmacist in the store. We can do anything from 8hr shifts to 7 on 7 off. This is true the shining point for Safeway. May stay with them becuse of this.

Cons

Rediculous micromangement in certain issues. For example, all techs must use red ink. ? Dumb!.

You don't seem to stress on the big things because they get done. Relax a little on the little things (red ink).

Other Reviews for Safeway

Safeway is a great temporary job while you go to school to get a better job.

Former Employee - Apprentice Meat Cutter  in  Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Apprentice Meat Cutter in Greeley, CO

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Safeway's employees are unionized. All promotions and salary increases are fair and regular. You will know what your job will required and it will be the same thing most days. Your job requirements and hours will be stable. If you stay with Safeway long enough you can earn a decent retirement through the union.

Cons

Management who don't care about employees and focus instead on the amount of money the store makes. Being effective, creative, or efficient are not rewarded. Your daily tasks will always be the same. Customer service comes before anything else. Most of your co-workers are temporary people working on other career goals or old dinosaurs who are about to retire.

Appreciate your employees and show them you care and they will work harder to help you meet your needs.

Good company to start out with, but poor payment.

Current Employee - Checker  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Checker in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Safeway is a great store to start out on, they hire when you have absolutely no experience. The management in my store is excellent, and it is a fairly easy job. Safeway has very flexible schedules, and are more than willing to balance out your personal life an work. They are very fair and respectful, and Safeway as a company treats customers better than any other grocery store I know of. Its somewhat easy to move up or around in the store, for example wanting to move from front end to produce.

Cons

The main downside of working at Safeway is compensation. The payment of employees is very very low, and for a company that has so much money available, there is no excuse for such unsatisfying payment. Many of the workers in my store have to hold a second job to cover all expenses. Only upper management and long term employees (10 years or more) make enough money to live on. The benefits are also poor. Safeway gives a 10% discount on Safeway brand items, and once in a while will give a coupon for a free Safeway product out, but in comparison with other companies, the benefits are unsatisfying.

Definitely increase payment of employees. Safeway wants you to go the extra mile for its customers, and our check out routine is far more detailed than other stores, but the payment doesn't reflect the extra work. Many other companies could care less about the customers but pay the employees well, Safeway does the opposite. If you want hard working, dedicated, motivated workers that will stay loyal to the company over time, you need to offer more money and benefits.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!