There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Good company, promote from within, help with school, health and welfare a plus...

Current Employee - Warehouse/Wkr  in  Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Warehouse/Wkr in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Keeps within industry pay and benefits. Health and welfare through unions are A++. Company pays for those benefits and promotions are for all qualified personnel. Upper management seems to predict future industry moves and is quick to adapt.

Cons

Same as most large corporations, cliquey groups and some drama, but the higher the pay, the less turnover.

Go back to profit sharing and automate classiness among workers.

1108 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

I've been working there for 8 months now and I'm still treated like I'm new because I have a disability.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Kailua, HI
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Kailua, HI

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

There are good benefits, most of the time the other employees and customers are nice, and there is a long lunch break when working full time hours.

Cons

Can't get tips, not many opportunities for higher employment within the company, if starting as a courtesy clerk you get bossed around and told how to do your job, I don't know how well they really understand people with disabilities. Also must work for a very long time before it is possible to get enough vacation time to take multiple weeks off to visit family in another state or such.

When I do a good job at completing tasks I rarely ever get positive feedback from the bosses/other employees, I get more positive feedback from the customers then the employees. I'd like more positive feedback to be given from the bosses because without it people may not feel there is much reason to do the job well. Also When people, such as me, work slowly or not as well because they ( I ) have a disability, they ( I ) get penalized for it, I would like employees to be more aware of people with disabilities. That is all I can think of at the moment.

Frustration level is very high

Current Employee - Backstage  in  Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - Backstage in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a paycheck and there are some nice coworkers

Cons

Management lies, flat out. Don't believe what you are told and get any 'promises' in writing.
    Watch your back because there may be a knife headed your way.
    Don't expect to be given all of the information you need, you have to be proactive and ask lots of questions.
    Micromanagement.
    Unrealistic schedules.
    Specific dress code with no cost assistance. (convenient 'company store' though, imagine that)
    HR sides with management.
    Snarky comments, emails and phone calls from management with no recourse. If you complain you are written up.

Be honest, is that so hard?

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!