There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

I would never work at Safeway again.

Former Employee - Produce Clerk/Cashier
Former Employee - Produce Clerk/Cashier

I worked at Safeway full-time for less than a year

Pros

Checks every Friday. That is about it.

Cons

Overworked for low wages. I got an average of 35-40 hours a week which was great, but at minimum wage. We were told if we could get sales up we could get a raise. This never happened because of the location of my store. I was a produce clerk but they expected me to come up 5-12 times a day through my shift to back up the other cashiers and maintain my entire department by myself. They did not care about their employees. There idea of managing was to show up at the last minute before a deadline, or before a regional manager came to the store and yell at everyone frantically to do a better job. My one boss was openly racist to the local native american population and on several occasions was overheard by me and fellow coworkers saying derogatory comments. The second assistant manager was a young, hard worker who cared about his team. The upper management knew this and took advantage of it anyway they could. Calling him in on his days off was common, as well as leaving all of their work for him to do. His wife was going to be giving birth and they would not give him time off. The week before he had covered for both the manager and general manager. He worked his shift while his wife delivered the baby. I would never recommend anyone working for safeway.

1136 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

not a lifer

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

Generally feel like I have job security

Cons

Culture & politics interfere with my work.

Get rid of Steve Burd, he's running an old man's company, not an innovative company.

safeway used to be a great place to work it has dwindled through the years due to more pressure due to cutting the hours

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

good benefits great customers when given tools to satisfy them

Cons

employees can not make a career if part time hrs no incentive when no one can live on part time

communicate, support, and appreciate put more employees in store. more employees more customers

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!