There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Disappointing

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Healthcare benefits and employee discounts were a plus. The experience I gained was invaluable. Working with multiple states was great.

Cons

Too many layers of management as is with most large corporations. Unable to deliver on career advancement goals. No clear path for career minded individuals.

Don't make promises you can't keep.

reviews filtered by

Through the Looking Glass

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with can be AMAZING people. Fairly consistent work if you do your job right. Extra pay for working Sundays and Holidays. The Nor-Cal upper management are very intelligent and know how to run a corporation.

Cons

The people you work for can be AMAZINGly horrible. More "Corporate" than you can possibly imagine. New employees are treated as meat for the corporate grinder. Benefits package doesn't benefit anyone but the Union you pay. If you don't want/have a family or values and are a heartless automaton, just the place for you! Was there 8 years, met all the Big Wigs and I am MORE than happy to be out and FREE.

Allow people to trully grow not only in their employment, but in their communities and personal lives.

If you like doing the work of 5 people then this is the job for you!

Former Employee - Head Clerk/GM Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Head Clerk/GM Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You meet so many people , and the longer your there the more you connect with your customers. Best part of my job was my customers!!

Cons

Well unless you like to kiss butt and do the jobs of 5 people and still get told your not doing enough. I held two Management positions: Head Clerk and GM Manager. No communication between any management and to talk to anyone above store level managers is impossible because you will never be "good" enough to talk to them.

You really need to stand behind your Management people instead of firing them for things that are meaningless to this Corparation. Either that or make sure your "Policies and Procedures" are the same in every store you own.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway