Safeway

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Safeway Company - Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company - great place to work

Cons

None - Very happy with current employment

Continue current practices

1304 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Family friendly great place to work with good benefits, but be prepared to work your fingers to the bone!

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Sun City West, AZ
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Sun City West, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Safeway employees are unionized, so working for Safeway you get excellent health care benefits that kick in after you work there for 1 yr. Safeway also has a pretty good 401(k) program that kicks in after a year. Their support structure for working with employees to constantly improve customer service is great. They are family friendly, and will work with employees to adjust their work hours if needed because of family.

Cons

Safeway's personal employee evaluation process is less than stellar, and doesn't really have what you could call any structure to it. This makes it difficult to know where management wants you to improve, and to give you critical feedback. Expect Safeway to work your fingers to the bone, and to squeeze every drop of work out of you that it can, asking you to do things beyond what your job should call for.

It's good to make sure that your customers are finding what they need, but instructing every employee to make sure he or she stops and asks pretty much every customer he or she sees is the customer is finding what they need or needs help is overkill and is bugging the customer. Safeway customers are smart; if they need help, they'll ask for it. They don't want to be bothered constantly during their shopping experience by employees.

Just a job. Good for housewives and bored retirees.

Former Employee - Wine Steward in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Wine Steward in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was fairly simple and straightforward. For the most part I was left alone to do my job and didn't have many hassles. The training sessions we had every other month were nice, but the frequency is still below the average for the industry.

Cons

If you're a clock puncher on the retail floor level, the company will screw you at some point, whether it be time, money, or benefits, and the union is completely impotent in helping you with it. I was promised a mileage compensation during training that was trimmed by a few hundred dollars. I was demoted to part time during the downturn even though that was a violation of contract rules if you'd worked for the company X amount of time. And they even screwed me on a couple days sick pay at the end.
    The company also has an absolutely strange culture where they rabidly prevent contact from subordinates at the retail level to management at the corporate level. I was chastised several times for attempting to contact anyone that wasn't a direct supervisor above my position despite them lacking clear and proper supervision channels when I started, even when it was done with intention of improving how the company did business.

Unclench a little and listen to the advice that reliable people who are your direct representatives with your customers give you as managers. If you promise something, deliver, and don't break your own rules just because you can get away with it, because that lacks class.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway