There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Safeway Company - Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company - great place to work

Cons

None - Very happy with current employment

Continue current practices

1172 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Just a job. Good for housewives and bored retirees.

Former Employee - Wine Steward in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Wine Steward in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was fairly simple and straightforward. For the most part I was left alone to do my job and didn't have many hassles. The training sessions we had every other month were nice, but the frequency is still below the average for the industry.

Cons

If you're a clock puncher on the retail floor level, the company will screw you at some point, whether it be time, money, or benefits, and the union is completely impotent in helping you with it. I was promised a mileage compensation during training that was trimmed by a few hundred dollars. I was demoted to part time during the downturn even though that was a violation of contract rules if you'd worked for the company X amount of time. And they even screwed me on a couple days sick pay at the end.
    The company also has an absolutely strange culture where they rabidly prevent contact from subordinates at the retail level to management at the corporate level. I was chastised several times for attempting to contact anyone that wasn't a direct supervisor above my position despite them lacking clear and proper supervision channels when I started, even when it was done with intention of improving how the company did business.

Unclench a little and listen to the advice that reliable people who are your direct representatives with your customers give you as managers. If you promise something, deliver, and don't break your own rules just because you can get away with it, because that lacks class.

Enjoy the experience

Current Employee - Food Clerk in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in Newark, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supported by entire team. Employee Discount for Safeway products. Extra hours available if you want to work passed minium hours each week.

Cons

Training for the floor is not helpful when you actually began to work the floor. They need to spend more time with new hires and develop a standardized work manuel.

Listen to current employee opinions about the level of training required to be productive on the floor.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway