Safeway

www.safeway.com

Good company

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager  in  Toms River, NJ
Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Toms River, NJ

Pros

Great place to gain valuable management experience.

Cons

None - Very happy, satisfying to work for such a company

Keep up the good work, focus on work ,life balance

Other reviews for Safeway

Family friendly great place to work with good benefits, but be prepared to work your fingers to the bone!

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Sun City West, AZ
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Sun City West, AZ

Pros

Safeway employees are unionized, so working for Safeway you get excellent health care benefits that kick in after you work there for 1 yr. Safeway also has a pretty good 401(k) program that kicks in after a year. Their support structure for working with employees to constantly improve customer service is great. They are family friendly, and will work with employees to adjust their work hours if needed because of family.

Cons

Safeway's personal employee evaluation process is less than stellar, and doesn't really have what you could call any structure to it. This makes it difficult to know where management wants you to improve, and to give you critical feedback. Expect Safeway to work your fingers to the bone, and to squeeze every drop of work out of you that it can, asking you to do things beyond what your job should call for.

It's good to make sure that your customers are finding what they need, but instructing every employee to make sure he or she stops and asks pretty much every customer he or she sees is the customer is finding what they need or needs help is overkill and is bugging the customer. Safeway customers are smart; if they need help, they'll ask for it. They don't want to be bothered constantly during their shopping experience by employees.

Helping to foster the demise of the pharmacy profession in your neighborhood today

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Portland, OR

Pros

I can't think of any pros anymore. Even the new restrooms aren't as nice as my own at home and the soap smells disgusting. I rarely have time to use the restroom when I need to, but it's nice to have it be so close now if I can get away. Finally, a small, professional courtesy to your healthcare professionals.

Cons

I have been with the company for almost 10 years. Every benefit has been cut, wages are stagnant, labor hours are now micromanaged on a daily basis by grocery managers that have absolutely no clue how long some prescriptions take to fill due to extenuating circumstances or how to handle insurance/billing issues that leave patients disgruntled. I work alone all the time as a cashier, constantly interrupted, with no time to fill prescriptions and be a pharmacist. I am so sick of grocery management (community college drop-outs) coming back to talk to pharmacy because someone complained about the price of their medication, when we made absolutely zero profit and lost money filling the prescription. They do not use common sense or professionalism when handling matters of pharmacy. It is all about blind obedience to the big red "S" that they learned in their remedial, middle-management, Safeway corporate brainwashing boot-camp. They have no clue and no respect for me, a Doctor of Pharmacy, 10 years of post high school education, whom they refer to as "hun", "hon", or however the disrespectful colloquialism is spelled, when they should be referring to me as Dr. or at the very least, my name, but the uneducated, brainwashed, tunnel visioned idiots have been given authority to interfere with my domain, my license, patient safety, and my sanity on a daily basis. We used to have fun and have plenty of staff to give outstanding customer service and patient care. Now every day is absolute HELL and I can't wait to leave this nightmare of retail pharmacy behind me.

I realize you have all the power and authority to do whatever you want to, however, you, non-pharmacy staff, have no business dictating staffing levels based on prescription counts. Our computer system is too outdated and hinders workflow for this type of business model. If you are going to micromanage, give us the tools to do our job. Give me a cashier. If I can't have a technician, then at least give me a clerk you cheap... You need to communicate what these shiny new waiting rooms are for. It is infuriating to most of us to see all the money you spent on waiting rooms (that are rarely used) being wasted on some unknown future super-secret concept, care-plan, medication therapy management, taking urine samples and stool samples, who knows what plans, with current staffing levels as inadequate as they have been for a few years and continuing to dwindle. Your lack of transparency and complete disregard for your health care professionals is a disgrace and you should be ashamed. You have no clue how terrible it is to be the only person working in the pharmacy on a Sunday afternoon with over 100 prescriptions to fill, no cashier, people needing pain medications and antibiotics, and Grandma and Grandpa want a flu shot and I have no time to do it. That makes me feel like a failure, personally, because I can't help them, and I want to, and it's your fault for not standing up to insurance companies and drug companies so we get better reimbursement on every prescription and are more profitable! Today it was over 115 prescriptions, alone. So of course they were not all filled and will get rolled into the never-ending pile of broken promises (aka pile of prescription labels, because no one knows how to change/extend the computer's automated time-guarantee to the patient calling in their prescriptions, and the computer has no clue what is really going on in the pharmacy.) It's just a crying shame that you can't admit failure and just throw in the towel now before we kill someone with a medication error. We can't take it anymore and if we didn't have bills to pay we would all walk out the door tomorrow. You are a terrible excuse for an employer of healthcare professionals. Keep patting yourself on the back and collecting those huge bonuses Mr. Byrd while your pharmacy divisions all go to you know where in a grocery bag. Don't forget that 10% off coupon!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!