There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

It was once fun, now it seems like the expectations far exceed the support needed for success

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You learn a lot from people that have been around for awhile. Stores in the area are clean. You learn a lot of good skills (merchandising ect...)probably mostly due to the area.

Cons

The hours in the stores keep getting reduced making it more and more difficult to do our jobs. A lot of people that hold high positions in the company shop in the stores all around HQ so if things are not perfect 24/7 pictures are taken and then shot like a cannon thru company email.

Advice to Management

Pick your battles. Perfection cannot be achieved when hours keep getting taken away from the stores. Remember that folks still come to the grocery store for one thing....groceries.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. Family like environment until New million dollar store opened

Former Employee - Helper Clerk in Gig Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - Helper Clerk in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family like environment High quality products Health Insurance at PT Paid vacation

Cons

Having to belong to a union, and still getting paid min. wage (four years at min. wage). Employees are undervalued and looked over for promotions in favor of younger inexperienced employees. With new store, manager has no time for employees. Very curt.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate to your employees. I understand you have a lot of weight on your shoulders with the store being new and expensive, but treating us like the menial minimum wage workers we are just demoralizes us. (and we work our butts off). Get rid of the union Safeway!

2. Yikes

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple, Good Training, Easy to get the job.

Cons

Can't take tips in a field that was once tipped, bad discount, and by bad I mean bad.

Advice to Management

...