Safeway

www.safeway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Family like environment until New million dollar store opened

Former Employee - Helper Clerk in Gig Harbor, WA
Former Employee - Helper Clerk in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family like environment
High quality products
Health Insurance at PT
Paid vacation

Cons

Having to belong to a union, and still getting paid min. wage (four years at min. wage).
Employees are undervalued and looked over for promotions in favor of younger inexperienced employees.
With new store, manager has no time for employees. Very curt.

Be more considerate to your employees. I understand you have a lot of weight on your shoulders with the store being new and expensive, but treating us like the menial minimum wage workers we are just demoralizes us. (and we work our butts off). Get rid of the union Safeway!

1304 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Its an ok job, but without ambition you wont move up.

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Pay is ok if you have experience, Good for a school/job balance. Success is up to you.

Cons

Pay is not good at the start. 6 Months at 40 hrs a week gets you a 25 cent raise. There are some employees burning out and the union just wants your dues. It is fairly common for a lazy/incompetent employee to continue to keep their job due to the union, which kills morale.

Some mid-level often seems out of touch with reality, and fail to motivate store level employees. Other managers are great. 360 Degree evaluations would demonstrate this.

Like all retail jobs, working for Safeway is not that great.

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They give you a 10% employee discount. If you really don't have any other career aspirations you can move up in the company rather quickly. When this happens, you'll do 10 times the work you used to do for twice the pay. For some, it's worth it.

Cons

Dealing with the general public is painful most days. Most stores are under contract with a union, which comes at the expense of new employees and the company itself.

Consider providing leadership/organization theory training to store managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway