There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Not the worst place to work, but be very WARY of the sign-on contract!!

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Pharmacist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

The people are generally very nice, and the technicians are competent. I honestly can't think of many more. They are generally well committed at providing superior service, and place a big emphasis rightly on secret shoppers to ensure that. However, with severe cuts in tech hours, it places an overwhelming stress on the pharmacist to meet all those demands.

Cons

They're cutting hours of both pharmacist and technicians. Staff pharmacists are being asked to take days off to allow the floaters some hours. There is a lot of time where pharmacists are working entirely solely, which is really stressful in the beginning of the day as it just sets you back for the entire day, and you're trying to play catch up. In addition, a floater is paid an hourly wage (instead of a salary for staff) and thus you're generally making about 15-20% less in a year due to them giving you 32-36 hrs instead of the "advertised" 40 hours for FT position. The bonus is a double edged sword, and I frankly regret signing it because it constricts you. They're really inflexible with scheduling for floating pharmacists as well. The schedule for floating pharmacists is sent on Thursday for the week after...so in essence, one doesn't know until Thursday evening where one's going to be working that coming Sunday. Also, in spite of the overhiring of floater pharmacists, they're really inflexible in providing for coverage in an emergency (such as a death in the family or friend). I personally was coerced to stay at work on Sunday after I found out news that my best friend passed away. In addition, there is a general lack of communication with upper management. Instead of communicating of a job opening at one of the stores to us (and I have repeatedly expressed interest in staffing positions at a fixed store), they hire from outside without any notification. Their huge emphasis on the Flu campaign is well-intentioned and appreciated from a public health perspective. Every pharmacist has to get certified to immunize in states where it is legally allowed. However, it places undue stress on the pharmacist, especially since you're working by yourself quite often with no technician or clerical help whatsoever. Also, there's lack of communication to employees of their future advertising plans, and thus personnel on the front end are left to come up with their owns rules and terms (for example, details on restrictions for $30 cash back, free antibiotics, ANYTIME ANYWHERE flu shots etc). Their software is outdated but functioning, although for a slow chain such as Safeway, it's probably not wise to invest millions in the latest technology. The help desk was generally really good in the beginning, but apparently there's been a lot of job loss on that side as well...thus if any problem arises, you spend a good 45 mins on hold waiting for someone to help you with some issues with claim transactions (workflow probs, etc).

Please place emphasis back on retaining employees, instead of the bottom line

1116 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Safeway - not a great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

The pay is decent & it's a fairly stable job in the tough economy.

Cons

The long hours & the disrespect from upper management. Store Managers work very hard & we are treated like we are kids. They expect us to work way too many hours & most of their expectations are unachievable

Stop acting like none of the managers care. Stop acting like we should work 100 hours a week - do you? Give us realistic goals

Rewarding Job

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

I can think of no other position more rewarding and fulfilling than Store Manager for Safeway. Not only was I able to work with people all day long, but 'WE' were able to do extraordinary things and achieve goals most thought unattainable. A great time with great people.

Cons

Work hours can be long and tenuous as a Store Manager or ANY salaried manager for that matter. On easy weeks I would work 35-40 hours and on hard weeks my schedule would reach roughly 70 hours. My position isn't paid by-the-hour, so the more time I spent at work, the less I was compensated by hour.

Work on retaining talent with better compensation and a better understanding for the work-life balance. Our paychecks say '40 hours' on them but no salaried manager ever works an entire year at 40 hours per week. Help!

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!