Safeway

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

As good as you make it.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with different people. Learning the ins and outs of running a business. Learning how things work in the corporate world. It's physical work to help you stay somewhat in shape. Learning different computer technologies.

Cons

Once you become management at Safeway it is expected to be your entire life. Expect to work 6 days or more a week. Expect to work 12 hours or more a day. Expect to get yelled at if you do all those things and something doesn't go right. Expect to deal with contradictions daily. I've worked a 12 hour day and was told I do too much, worked an 11 hour day and was told I do too little. If you want to be management be 25 and under with no children, because you won't see your family much.

Get some new blood in there. New ideas, more well thought ideas.

1254 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Working for Safeway was okay.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the managers were very friendly and respectful. Most of them were very understanding of my disabilities and worked with me.

Cons

There were a couple of managers that really did not care. One of the managers would schedual me for more hours than I was physically able to work then he threatened to fire me if I did not work my schedualed shifts. One manager wanted me to be in 5 places at once and would yell at me for not getting stuff done when she would not allow me to leave the bagging area. She also wanted me to clock my sweeps without actually checking the store for spills and hazards.

Putting extra pressure on your employees doesn't always get you better results. Sometimes it just stresses them out and lowers morale.

Has taught me many skills needed for future employment.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Kent, WA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many chances for promotion. Hard workers are noticed. Almost all of employees are carrying, they work to achieve a family based.

Cons

Hours, seems hours are a big problem. Over hiring possibly.

Help morning checkers. My only advice would be change to two checkers in the morning, maybe another joins at 6:30am, rather 7:00am.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway