Safeway

www.safeway.com
  www.safeway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Were very good, but situation has deteriorated in last several years

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist
Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist

I worked at Safeway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, with good sign-on bonus when I started. Support staff was friendly and helpful for the most part. I was disabled by a car accident and was given 6 months of short-term disability with no hassle at all, and kept on insurance and other benefits for a year. Would have been able to return to my position with no problem at that time if I had been physically able. I would have qualified for very generous long term disability with a few more months of employment but I had only been with the company for less than a year (my 28 years of experience was in other pharmacies).

Cons

I came to the pharmacy at a very stressful time, the pharmacist-in-charge was on medical leave and I took over those duties as well as trying to integrate the prescriptions generated by the purchase of another pharmacy's files. The corporate management had not properly prepared for the large increase in prescription volume, so the stress level was very high due to short-staffing. They also had a pharmacy technician who could only be described as a toxic employee but it took months to get corporate management to recognize that she was the source of many problems and to remove her. I have kept in touch with pharmacists within the company (different location) and the last few years have resulted in more stress in all pharmacies with decreased support staffing while prescription volume as well as pharmacist duties have increased. Safeway is now considered one of the worst chain pharmacies as a pharmacist employer, when they previously had a reputation for being one of the best.

It is ridiculous to add to the pharmacists' burdens by advertising walk-in immunizations instead of letting the pharmacy set up appointments for that service. Also the advertisement of only a 30-minute wait for any prescription doesn't take into account the problems of getting those prescriptions through the insurance process which must occur before the prescription can be dispensed or the pharmacy will not be paid. The latest problem of scheduling support staff based on the prescription volume of the PREVIOUS week is ludicrous, because that does nothing to account for the normal fluctuations in prescription volume based on illnesses that can become prevalent in the community within just a day or two or the fluctuations that occur based on the time of the month or even people's vacation schedules when you have a large employer in town that shuts down during certain times. This company (in Oregon, anyway) is skating very close to a citation for violating the Oregon rules put in place to protect the public from pharmacists impaired by stress and fatigue due to workplace conditions.

1254 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

it has been pretty good

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it has medical benefits for those of us who have been dropped off our parents insurance

Cons

not a lot of regular shifts

Good working environment. Needs better pay. Medical benefits nice.

Current Employee - Meat Clerk
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk

I have been working at Safeway part-time

Pros

It is a union job, so your rights are protected. i.e.. Getting breaks, getting paid for "all of your hours," treated with respect etc.

Cons

The coorporate policies are disconnected from reality. For example, you need to fill out safety observations where you comment on another employee working safely. It has become something that management just wants you to get done so they can fill a quota. They don't care if you pretend that you really observed something.

Upper management needs to spend more time in stores rather than just coming up with new policies. It would be nice if the Union came by more often. We do pay them $100 a month.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway