Safeway

www.safeway.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Good working environment. Needs better pay. Medical benefits nice.

Current Employee - Meat Clerk
Current Employee - Meat Clerk

I have been working at Safeway part-time

Pros

It is a union job, so your rights are protected. i.e.. Getting breaks, getting paid for "all of your hours," treated with respect etc.

Cons

The coorporate policies are disconnected from reality. For example, you need to fill out safety observations where you comment on another employee working safely. It has become something that management just wants you to get done so they can fill a quota. They don't care if you pretend that you really observed something.

Upper management needs to spend more time in stores rather than just coming up with new policies. It would be nice if the Union came by more often. We do pay them $100 a month.

1370 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Worst Employer I've Had

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-After being employed for at least a year, all employees are given 2 weeks paid vacation each year.

Cons

-As one of the previous reviews pointed out, if you are a hard worker, you are expected to pick up slack for others.
    -Management refuses to communicate effectively.
    -I have dealt with black mail from store management, been mocked by managers for expressing my opinion of a situation involving co-workers-after I was specifically asked to share my opinion and views.
    -Weekly schedules are consistently posted only a day before the following week. Changes to schedules can be made at any time and communication is so bad, often employees do not show up for their "scheduled" shifts as they had no idea that their manager had changed the schedule.
    -Wages begin just above minimum wage, but in my store are totally arbitrary and have nothing to do with experience, length of employment, or education.
    -Employees in my store are routinely criticized for "not working fast enough" (even though most shifts involve literal running) and mandatory, by-law breaks are not given. Management says "yes, you can take your breaks" but if you take them, you don't have time to finish the extra work you are forced to take on and you are then yelled at for not completing tasks.
    -Several managers in my store delegate all of their work to their department employees so that they can hide in their offices all day-only returning to yell at their employees for being "behind".

-The pressure being placed on department managers is so intense that they can't win. Dept. Managers then take this out on regular employees.
    -I have been a hard-working employee for this company for 2.5 years and have nothing good to say about my experience. This is by far, the worst employer I have had. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. I have seen 90 percent of the people in my department cry over the stress being placed on them. Management, you need to get out of the offices and check out your stores.

A step back in time

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

Easy to leave by 6pm. Little expectation to take work home with you. Everyone needs food so the business is less impacted by recessions than some companies.

Cons

Old school business philosophies (including a policy against working from home). Lots of politics. Lots of bueaucracy. Rewarded for putting in the time, not fo rmaking a contribution. Little interest in new ideas and especially not from positions below director.

You have a lot of great people. Learn to listen to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway