There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

A fun and friendly high-paced work environment.

Current Employee - Wine Steward in Duvall, WA
Current Employee - Wine Steward in Duvall, WA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful co-workers
Understanding and patient management
Challenging
Having pride in my work place and the work that I do
Fun and changing work environment

Cons

The salary starts out too low for the amount of work expected

Keep up the good work!

1167 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very Good Salary once you have been there a while

Cons

To many unrealistic job expectations, Managers get beat down daily, company does not appreciate its employee's,

Terrible company

Current Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am employed while I get an education so I can quit this terrible job.

Cons

The company demands that everything be set to a schematic. No matter if your store is in an affluent area you are required to put out low quality goods. A perfect example is the meat department. If the store is located next to million dollar homes it is required to have the same type of meat cuts as a store located in a lower socioeconomic area. This is stupid. People in different tax brackets eat differently. The use of company wide schematics is a profit losing endeavor.
    Management is inept on the best of days. Managers are promoted with very little training and the ones that are competent are run into the ground by the constant pressure and over reaching demands of higher ups.
    The pay is god awful. It takes 9 years, at part time, to top out under the current labor contract. Management does not care about their employees. The bottom line suffers greatly with the over use of audits, changing store lay outs, requiring departments to carry high gross items that do not sell.
    The company uses out of date predictive models to come up with store hours and sales projections. The company uses GROSS profit as its preferred financial metric. The company is losing money, feel free to look at Goggle Finance for proof. I am glad I am not tied to this ship for the rest of my life.

Trim management. Staff the place like you want to sell product. Stop treating stores like they are all the same. Stop increasing shareholder benefits when you are 6 billion dollars in debt. Spinning off the gift card unit is dumb. Starting a health care business is dumb. Treat your employes like they are people by paying them a decent wage. Stop renovating stores without making them more efficient. YOU ARE LOSING MARKET SHARE, WAKE UP!

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway