There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Over worked, under paid

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Redmond, OR
Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Redmond, OR

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good beginning job for someone entering the work force. If you stay long enough, at least two years, you are eligible for insurance coverage.

Cons

Very few employees receive full time hours; makes it difficult to bank enough hours for benefits. The management (Corporate Level and Store Manager) harass employees constantly--treating them like they are idiots. Expected to perform 8 hours of work in 6 hours or less. Union regs make it hard to get rid of bad employees.

A kind word goes a long way--constantly harassing employees is bad for morale--most people leave because of the crappy treatment.

reviews filtered by
  1. An ok job if you have to take it. Helper Clerk

Current Employee - Helper Clerk in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Helper Clerk in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting to help out the customers can be fun and helps cure boredom while stocking shelves.

Cons

Most managers in all retail/grocery/low pay jobs are stressed out all the time and therefore are not the easiest to get along with at work.

Make things easier on management, so that they can be happier and nicer to employees.

2. A Dichotomy

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Evergreen, CO
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Evergreen, CO

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some really great people there, and it was a good way to get to know people in my small town better. I also learned a lot about how a corporate company really works...

Cons

The union was a joke, my job did not receive the benefits it was supposed to, the store was generally understaffed and unresponsive to customer's needs, and dealing with management was a nightmare unless you had the right manager. I also worked full-time hours but was given 1 hour short so they did not have to give me benefits.

Please hire store managers who are approachable, reasonable, and civil, as well as knowledgeable as to how to do their job successfully.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway