There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

An ok job if you have to take it. Helper Clerk

Current Employee - Helper Clerk  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Helper Clerk in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting to help out the customers can be fun and helps cure boredom while stocking shelves.

Cons

Most managers in all retail/grocery/low pay jobs are stressed out all the time and therefore are not the easiest to get along with at work.

Make things easier on management, so that they can be happier and nicer to employees.

1106 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Over worked, under paid

Current Employee - Meat Clerk  in  Redmond, OR
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Redmond, OR

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good beginning job for someone entering the work force. If you stay long enough, at least two years, you are eligible for insurance coverage.

Cons

Very few employees receive full time hours; makes it difficult to bank enough hours for benefits. The management (Corporate Level and Store Manager) harass employees constantly--treating them like they are idiots. Expected to perform 8 hours of work in 6 hours or less. Union regs make it hard to get rid of bad employees.

A kind word goes a long way--constantly harassing employees is bad for morale--most people leave because of the crappy treatment.

A Dichotomy

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Evergreen, CO
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Evergreen, CO

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some really great people there, and it was a good way to get to know people in my small town better. I also learned a lot about how a corporate company really works...

Cons

The union was a joke, my job did not receive the benefits it was supposed to, the store was generally understaffed and unresponsive to customer's needs, and dealing with management was a nightmare unless you had the right manager. I also worked full-time hours but was given 1 hour short so they did not have to give me benefits.

Please hire store managers who are approachable, reasonable, and civil, as well as knowledgeable as to how to do their job successfully.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!