Safeway

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

its ok i guess

Current Employee - Cashier in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Cashier in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time

Pros

great benefits. low pay for as long for someone being there for more then 6 years.

Cons

low pay for as long for someone being there for more then 6 years.

1386 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Over Worked Under Paid

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

55,000 a year starting out with no degree

Cons

expected to work 60-70 hours a week. the company does not give enough help for the stores. Your store has to work at 100% with 95% of the hours to do so.

remember where you came from, treat your employees with respect!

If you can find a better job, RUN

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-> Great co-workers.

--> Friendly customers for the most part.

---> Easy as pi.

--> Good benefits! Better than where my friends work anyway.

-> Great first job, regardless of how bad it is. Just don't get stuck here.

Cons

-> Look at the union pay scale and you'll likely be severely disappointed. No pay raises for us courtesy derps -- ever. OK, maybe a whopping $0.05 increase after 1000-something hours... but that's like $2.00/week more. WOW!!! .... and that's all she wrote

--> The customer service expectations and secret shoppers make everything painfully phoney.

---> A lot of customers are complete @$$holes. Can't count the number of times I've had to bite my tongue to keep this pOs job.

--> Meh training program. It's mostly on a computer. It showed me the 'proper' way to bag groceries, but so many of their techniques are awful. For example, they suggest you lay bottles on their sides facing opposite directions.... the idea is to increase the surface area of the bottom to give the bag more stability or something.... well it does just the opposite. The plastic is thin enough without being stretched apart by heavy bottles. Even when double bagged and not at risk of breakage, it makes for an awkward bag of groceries.
    I hate giving customer's an awkward bag - one that's too pointy, or the items weren't placed close enough together, or they're long and skinny so their hand has to stretch just to hold it, etc... - because that's something I'd personally hate to receive myself.

-> Checker's obviously aren't trained to bag? Maybe they are, and the checkers at my store just refuse to do it properly... I'm so sick of having to take meat out of the veggie bag, cleaners out of the bread bag, etc... I'm sure the more lucid customers aren't too impressed either.

Be friendlier and more accommodating to your employees. If one of your best workers in one department wants to move up, HELP THEM! I've seen so many good people leave because they felt trapped in their current position. It's better to move your best worker to another department than lose them altogether.

The way you treat your employees will reflect on how well the store is run.

That is just a theory of mine, though... We have a pretty cool manager at my Safeway, and our store is neat and clean and we have what customers say are the friendliest employees in the city. My friend a few miles away isn't so lucky. Their manager is a dick, and it rubs off on the employees who clearly hate their job. And their store is a total mess most of the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway