cashier

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Silver Spring, MD
Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they provide worker and families with Good health insurance, teeth insurance, eye insurance. they readily provide teens with part-time jobs and good working hours flexibility

Cons

this is job a side job, except you are planing to go into management position, which will require a degree.not a good long term jobs, requires patients with insulting customers,

Advice to Management

respect the grassroots workers

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great pay, treated like child, management all uneducated

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

pay, some of the customers are nice. I made over $21.00 an hour and had triple time pay on holidays. However, I was under the old contract. Current employees have to wait longer to make that amount and schedules are a pain. To get a day off is like pulling teeth. If you value your family and your life outside of work...do not work here. People are rude and management always takes their side.

Cons

everything, management, customers, management, management

Advice to Management

Learn people skills and how to talk to your employees. You help them they will help you.

Flexible schedule, but barely enough hours to pay bills, hefty college loan payments, and living expenses

Current Employee - Float Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Float Pharmacist

I have been working at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Flexibility in schedule: float pharmacy staff are allowed to request days off for the following monthly schedule and are rarely denied their requests. I have been able to enjoy trips to see family for the holidays, catch up with old friends, and take a beautiful vacation in the past 9 months. Staff are required to request time off much farther in advance and are not always given those requests. 2. Broad range of experiences: there are dozens of Safeway's within driving distance, so I am able to learn from many different styles of workflow and I get to pick up on tools and tricks of the trade. I have become more confident in my skills. I enjoy meeting new people and look forward to seeing them again from time to time. 3. Less involvement with politics: every store has their own issues and I don't have to get involved in any of them! I love knowing that I get to go home at the end of the day and not worry about what so-and-so thinks about me. I just get to go in, do my job, and not stress about gossip or negative feelings people develop about each other when stuck in close quarters.

Cons

1. Little hours: some months I only start out with 4 shifts total for the whole month. I endure this traumatizing experience at the end of every month. I feel sick to my stomach when given my "schedule". It is pathetic. Safeway should put a hiring freeze on float staff so that hours can build up again for those who have been working with them longer. 2 Beware of back office mistakes: every time I was given a promotion, the corporate office failed to update my hourly pay rate. My benefits discounts for being healthy were also overlooked. I had to monitor my paychecks closely and go through a huge hassle to get my pay and benefits updated. Thankfully they do fix things retroactively and give the retro pay that is due. 3. Salary is not competitive: many people I know in the business have done their homework and found that Safeway is on the lower end of salary for retail pharmacists. Little hours and less pay than my colleagues. Not ideal. 4. They keep cutting down on pharmacy support staff: I am burning out! They have this thing called "real time" scheduling. Hours and script counts are monitored on a daily basis and technicians are sent home if the counts aren't up to goal. Where did they get their algorithm from? They are going to wear the pharmacy staff down so much that patient safety may be at stake.

Advice to Management

1. Stop hiring float staff and start getting hours for your current employees. 2. Stop this "real time" scheduling 3. Provide the customer service you promise by staffing the pharmacies in a way that patients are better taken care of.