not like it used to be

Former Employee - Grocery Checker  in  Olympia, WA
Former Employee - Grocery Checker in Olympia, WA

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

work with your fellow co-workers is like working with family

Cons

Management is not like they used to be, old school, stick up for your employees. My manager was in it for himself, never a compliment, noting positive, always negative. Morale at the store was VERY low.

Other Reviews for Safeway

Easy job to do/get

I have been working at Safeway part-time

Pros

Easy job to do, easy job to get. Management leaves you alone if you do your work

Cons

Very low pay with low pay increments ($0.25/hr increase every 6 months or so if you perform)

Only if you have no other choice

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Lafayette, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Lafayette, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

They're always hiring (high turnover) and aren't too selective. Union's benefit plan is surprisingly good. Their are some nice people there.

Cons

Awful pay, lots of nasty people in positions of power. The work is crappy and thankless. Worst though is management; they are completely incompetent at every level. Corporate has strict safety and performance guidelines that local wants nothing to do with, and every different manager has a different opinion on the "right" way to do something. Store is permanently understaffed but employees are blamed when impossible workloads are not met. Those who care about doing a good job are run ragged while others underperform or screw up. Management does not have resources or power to get to bottom of problems and they go consistently unsolved.

I'd say fire yourselves and let someone else try, but you did that and it didn't work. On the large scale, corporate needs to realize all it's rules and guidelines are completely ignored by the local branch and reconcile. On the small scale, the best thing you can do is training. My training was 6 hours in front of a computer listening to the history of Safeway; then I was expected to know how to bag, help customers, etc. New hires should shadow someone who knows what they're doing for a good week before being let loose on their own. More employees might also help.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!