Safeway

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Persistance PAYS off!

Former Employee - Floral Manager in Los Gatos, CA
Former Employee - Floral Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are serious about becoming a manager or excelling in some other fashion, don't be afraid to voice it. Demand it and prove you are both capable and deserve it. This is what I did and at 18 years old I was the youngest department manager there.

Cons

Many workers at Safeway have been there a very long time and have become absorbed to the point where Safeway is there life. They live for drama and seek any ups and downs to live through. It was hard to balance the delicate line of being social and keeping to myself. I don't like to be involved in drama but its hard to do when you socialize and become friendly.

1312 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

if you work hard and consistant then you get hours, if you want to slack go work at dunkin donuts

Current Employee - Journeyman Baker in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Journeyman Baker in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

since you stay busy an 8 hour shift goes by fast. your treated like family.most positions pay well.

Cons

dont go to work tired as it is labor in the department you will fall behind,guaranteed.people at safeway are a bit more proud because of the name of where they work , high end store ,so there is the atmosphere of up-ity-ness but then their right were safeway not walmart but i know alot of people are just not comfortable with that mind set.

be a bit more personable with your employees displaying a level of knowledge about daily life of your workers and what we really do to get the job done boosts morale .morale is a deal maker or breaker.validated employees are happy employees and happy employees produce consistant ,high quality work that safeway and its customers have come to expect..

Stable Job-Highly Demanding

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everybody needs to eat so there is good job stability. Salary and Benefit package is competitive.

Cons

Minimum 10 hour days. Could be 15 or more hours depending on what happens in the day. Weekends, holidays, evenings are all on the table. Leads to not spending a whole lot of time with your family.

The company is top-heavy. Trim some of the fat and focus on the stores and the customer experience. Many times we spend more time playing our own internal "games" than we do on helping the customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway