Safeway

www.safeway.com
  www.safeway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Horrible place to work at

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Deli Clerk in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some co-workers are nice, such as store managers and assistant managers, others, not so much.

Cons

The employees and the management are horrible, when I first started, nothing was taught to me, I was expected to know everything before even came in. Co-workers were very mean to me, whenever I wanted to ask them questions or needed their help, they gave me cold shoulders as if I was wasting their precious time. If you didn't ask them and did something wrong, they would yell at you, but the thing is, if you didn't tell me in advance, how am I supposed to know? I guess the root of the problem is that because of the high turnover rate, they knew that you are going to quit at some point of the future, so they have no intension of making friends with you or teaching you anything, any effort they spend on you now is going to be a waste.

Provide better training programs.

1254 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Soul Sucking

Former Employee - Jack of All Trades in Auburn, CA
    Former Employee - Jack of All Trades in Auburn, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-You learn how to deal with a high volume of angry customers.
    -They raise a decent amount of money for charities
    -You will learn to work really hard without needing the incentive of a reward.

Cons

-From the top down, no one cares about the employees.
    -You barely make enough to pay the rent, and if you have any issues with the management they cut your hours.
    -The union SUCKS because they are not proactive, and the reps are always on vacation.
    -Secret shopping is like standardized testing for adults, and we all know how well that's working out for our kids.
    -They are also a hugely wasteful company. It's difficult to work and barely make enough to buy your own food and then see them throw so much away. They don't discount anything, they just chuck it in the garbage.
    -You don't know your next week's schedule until a couple days before it starts, so balancing life and work, or another job that you probably need in order to pay your bills, is difficult.
    -Many of the customers have been hearing 'the customer is always right' from this company for too long, so they can be extremely rude and entitled.
    - You often have to work in other departments during your shift, but are still expected to get everything done in your department. They are always short handed so they can keep the hours down and pay less wages. Profit is their only goal, and you are their work monkey. The more they realize you can do, the more they will give you extra.

Sadly, if you were to improve anything I think you'd lose your job. And pretty much every aspect of working here needs improvement. So my advice is to let this sinking ship go down.

Safeway - Corporate Circle-Jerk

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount - 10% off of Safeway brand items...

Cons

Horrible place to work. Management is cutthroat and will throw anyone under the bus to advance.

Quit now and work somewhere else.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway