Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

health club, cafeteria, twelve sick days

Cons

no career opportunities, and a lot of old opionions

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. Is this legal?

Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co workers and GM, 10% discount on Safeway products, friendly customers (sometimes).

Cons

I've never worked in a retail environment where you weren't given a lunch break and two 15 minute breaks. Seriously. You have to work over 8.5 hours in order to get a lunch. And here at our store, we get ONE 10 minute break. Can you imagine only a 10 minute break w/i a 7 hour shift? Amazing. Plus they cross trained me into book keeping/customer service desk which was great, but at no extra pay. Seems like a lot of responsibility handling all that money for just 7.80 an hour. It's insulting. Oh and by the way, if you work at the customer service counter you don't get a break at all. Yeah, it's easy work but everyone needs a break or two to keep their sanity. I remember a time when working for a grocery store was a pretty good job for someone who isn't college educated. Glad that I am and only need this job for a short while in between careers.

Stop with all the audits!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good steady work. If you are flexible and want a chance to advance to management, good company to move up fast with, if you make it known.

Cons

Hours for employees have been cut way back for some reason. Only 2 checkers maybe 3 at best. Nobody really wants to work anymore because of all the unnescessary crap we have to deal with. No baggers anymore, stores are always a mess, and turnover rate in management is starting to become very noticeable. Leadership is not like it used to be and payroll is always messed up along with requested days off. Write ups hardly ever happen except if you are an order witer.

Advice to Management

This company seems to have lost touch with fulfilling the customer needs and wants. And why are there so many audits??? These ridiculous audits corporate keeps setting forth are wearing all of us out and a manager can't even enjoy a day off anymore without getting a call that "so and so from corporate is here to do an audit". Really??? Get the company back to what it needs to be to get the customers back. Stop remodeling the stores too, because everyone knows that remodels brings higher prices, just a given. Serious waste of time and the customers hate it and so do we as employees. We have to hear it from the customers every day and we get tired of it. The customers want to come in and shop where they know they can stretch their $$$ as much as they can, but you just do what YOU think is necessary and never pay attention at all. Really sad that Kroger's sales are higher than ours and we are always and always will be lagging behind them. Put the money back into the stores for the employees by allowing for more hours. Only 2 checkers maybe 3 checkers scheduled everyday and no baggers anymore either. The customers don't like standing in line and shouldn't. Walk into a Kroger store and you will find out they have more 2x/3x the cashiers with baggers and checkstands open than Safeway does. And by cashiers, I don't mean a Manager on the checkstand either. Also, we (the stocking clerks) can't stock our depts. correctly if you keep cutting hours either. Cut the hours and the products can't get filled to shelves, which means out-of-stocks will always be higher and that means we will never live up to the expectations of what corporate wants; even though most of corporate seems to have never really worked in a store at all, but yet you seem to know what's best for thestores always. Find a way to lower the prices like our campaign back in the fall of 2009 and you might be amazed that sales will start to go up again. But what do I know, I just actually work in a store, and you don't.