Safeway

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Stable Job

Current Employee - GM Clerk in Long Beach, CA
Current Employee - GM Clerk in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable job. Depending on your manager and what you do, your schedule can be very flexible. I worked in nearly every department for Safeway and because I was so valuable, I was given nearly every day I requested.
Good benefits because it's union.

Cons

You are typically required to work weekends and most holidays. Schedules are rarely consistent. The union contracts.

1249 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

95% of the employees are as not happy as someone could be!!

Former Employee - Head Clerk in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Head Clerk in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can get promoted very fast. I was promoted from a cashier to a head clerk (21.53$/h) in one year. Having the union is a plus.

Cons

Gosh, where to start. The company is so strict on their employees, when it comes to wearing the Safeway shirt and the black slacks, you might get fired for braking this policy. If you get caught with you cell you would get fired. the list goes on and on, you have to try it yourself to see how miserable everyone is.

GO take a walk to a WhoolFoods store or a Trader Joe's and see how their employees are smiling and happy and just loving their job. after you do this, go and ask them why they are so happy and Safeway employees are so miserable. I want to stand on the exit of one of the Safeways near my place and ask every employee who leaves the store: "On a scale of 1 to 10 how miserable are you at your job?" and do the same for 100 stores. I bet we will get a 99% of the surveyed employees with a score of TEN.

I don't understand Safeway's policies with employees.

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some nice co-workers/managers and customers.

Cons

Every week the hours change - no set schedule. Too much gossip going on. If there is a problem (union involved) it takes 3 or more months to get it looked into/solved. If they do not like you - they will do all they can to get rid of you - especially those under the old contract. Expect a lot - give little!

Stop looking so hard for little things to call people on...

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway