Safeway

www.safeway.com
  www.safeway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Used to be a family company but steadily declining!

Current Employee - Meat Clerk
Current Employee - Meat Clerk

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is better than no job.
If you are a tier A employee in the Tacoma District you have wonderful benefits and pay.
Plenty of entry level positions.
If you are willing to "play the game" there are great opportunities for career advancement.
If you are military they have special programs to help you get management positions. Safeway is good about working with special needs people.
Union Safety

Cons

Your to-do list, or expectations are 100 tasks long but the company only gives you time to complete about 80%. They openly acknowledge this system but still expect you to get everything done. Safeway constantly portrays the image of a "family company" but most people work such erratic hours, holidays and weekends and stores that it's very difficult to get time off when you would want to spend with your family. The only reason half the checkers get enough hours to support their family is because they offer to stay late or come in early or they are "on call".

To be honest, I don't know if the issues we are currently facing here in the Tacoma District are an issue just here or across the company. But if you are a tier B employee you have to work around 4 or more years to get decent benefits and that's if you can get full time work. Many checkers have been working for the company for 25 plus years and can't get more than 25 hours a week. Every three years when a new contract comes up the company takes more and more away from the employees. We pay more for our benefits, haven't had a decent raise in 10 years only get paid holiday pay for certain holidays and right now they are open for Christmas and Thanksgiving also and are fighting to give us only a $1 an hour extra if we do work holidays.

When I first started with the company ten years ago, we had BBQ's to celebrate milestones, gain sharing when your store performed well, safety prizes for maintaining a safe store, award ceremonies and $ prizes for outstanding customer service. There was a lot of pride inside the company. Currently this has COMPLETELY eroded away. The moral in the Tacoma District is very sad.

People before Profits! Treat your employees like your slogan says, provide them with "Ingredients for Life" not ingredients for poverty.

1254 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Would be great if the pay matched some other companies.

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager/Stocking/Checking in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly relaxed atmosphere unless the night manager is on duty that night. Take breaks pretty much whenever you want to for a couple of minutes as long as you finish on time.
    Everyone else at the store was awesome, all the other people were very helpful and would answer any questions. Store manager was a very nice man as well.

Cons

Relatively unfair pay for a demanding job.Schedule writer seems to not have a grasp on the amount of hours in a day, nor the days in a week. Night manager is difficult to say the least. He spends his time complaining about new employees not getting things correct the first time even though his "training" happened to be a 10 minute session basically not telling you what you need to know. Everyone already knew this was the case at this particular store, but it is still rather frustrating to be new to something and unable to ask a question because you're afraid you will get yelled at / removed from what you were doing.

Stop hiring the wrong people for the job. Even though this isn't really something a manager has a say in, it would be nice if the pay was a little closer to what some other companies offer for doing the same job.

HORRIBLE place to work for!

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Antioch, CA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Antioch, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is better than being homeless. Better than working out in the heat. It's a paycheck. Hours aren't bad.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, under appreciated, and did I mention under paid?? High union dues for no benefits.

Hire more people, quit treating employees like they are lazy

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway