Safeway

www.safeway.com

Store Manager - Long Hours, Hard Work, Wasted Time

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to see the real world application of microeconomic theory - see profit and loss and what effects it and how you can make it better. Great job stability - unless you violate one of their ethical guidelines, you effectively can't be fired as a store manager. Pay is very competitive and benefits package is excellent.

ConsLong hours - 50 hours minimum, 60 hours typical, 80 hours occasionally when things go wrong and/or you don't have employees. Blue collar work despite white collar job description - you WILL check and stock shelves fully 50 percent of your time, and it could be higher than that depending on your staffing situations. 'Backstage' not supportive nor focused on stores, 'help' not available and not helpful - everyone backstage is too busy telecommuting on Fridays to show up at the store, even in the middle of the week, and when they DO show up, they are more focused on documenting your failures than on helping you train and develop your team. Management focused on the wrong things - profits for shareholders instead of better experiences for the customer or higher pay for employees, and it shows when you walk through the front door. We just can't compete with other chains because we don't have the flexibility, nor the 'backstage' support.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and on employees, not on shareholders and consumer packaged goods companies. Stop wasting Store Manager's time - if there aren't other people in the store you can trust, you're doing it wrong. Figure out why we're in business and what we ought to do to still be in business at a high level in twenty years - then build a strategy that's focused on THAT, not making our quarterly profit plan so that senior management can cash in their stock options. Let Store Managers fire problem employees instead of shuffling them around until their career reads like the stores on a District conference call. Introduce real 'backstage' help that's really focused on making stores better for customers and employees.

Very fast-paced store and demanding job

Deli Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros: I am still new, but I hear the medical benefits… Cons: Low pay for this area in CA. The Union takes too much money each month for the low pay. The staff is not too friendly… Advice to Senior Management: Make more of an effort to make a new person feel welcome. Validate those… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Quite possibly the worst job I've ever had

Store Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than a year

Pros: Interaction with employees and customers was generally pleasant. Cons: Horrible work life balance Company focuses primarily on thrift making your pay rate… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Safeway.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!