There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Good but slow and boring

Former Employee - Manager  in  Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady eddy if you like that

Cons

Boring if you prefer action

Motivate your people to work smarter and harder

1132 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Disappointing

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are very loyal to the company

Cons

Division management was not very strong

Get a single vision and stick to it

A look back, and it wasn't as bad as I once thought.

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work itself: Despite the overall review being negative, I actually really liked many of the aspects of my job. The work itself wasn't horribly challenging but still required quick thinking and attention to detail. It helped me develop customer interaction and social skills I otherwise performed rather poorly at.

Management: Despite my early review whining about my department manager, the truth is a large part of the issue was a lack of communication. After talking one-on-one with my department manager there were very little issues otherwise. Store managers were always fair in my dealings with them and acted very maturely even when I had received warnings, though to be fair I had only received about 3 total.

The team: Everyone here across department understands each other; that is, we all struggle together. Sure there was a little bit of drama between some coworkers, but for the most part everyone treated everyone else respectfully.

Also getting hired is fairly easy, the process itself takes a while, but as long as you remain patient, on time for training and interviews, and act professionally, the job should be easy to secure.

Cons

Pay: Okay, so regardless of what I had said last time... Pay isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't good either. On paper it doesn't sound so bad, but what they fail to take into account is that taxes and union deductions add up. Now, I have no issue paying my taxes, but for someone working near minimum wage otherwise unnecessary deductions should be kept to a minimum. Deductions were absolutely horrendous, I had a large chunk of my income go to a 401k since I was living with parents and only really paid for personal items, but even so the union deductions remained the same, all of which are after-tax. At one point as well I was receiving unauthorized deductions, and was only reimbursed after bothering all the managers about five times each. Even then they didn't stop. The worst was the nonchalant attitude everyone seemed to have about it.

The Unions: Where do I start with them? I have a real bone to pick with these fellas. When I first met my representatives I put my politics aside, and viewed them just as normal people associated with my work. My first impressions of most of them was mostly positive, what they were saying sounded like it helped, and their deductions didn't sound so bad given the grievance support they claim to provide. I'll even go on to say they seemed like nice people, well except for one guy who came off as arrogant and basically gave everyone a false story about how non-union jobs abuse workers and make you work as little as possible and fire people at the drop of a hat. However, the Union provided things such as health plans I didn't even sign up for, yet I still had to basically pay for it. Then came the time that I actually needed to talk to them to settle some disputes. At one point I had been receiving unauthorized deductions and management at the store didn't seem to care. The stance the union took on it was that it wasn't their issue (I kid you not). During times when I had been over-scheduled which had conflicted with my school they literally told me "Your manager can be a jerk if they want to, it may be annoying, but there's nothing wrong with it." and also that college schedules mean nothing and employers should only have to work around high school schedules. Needless to say I was not on good terms with my union rep, and she made it very clear to me that she did not like talking to me. Also replying to emails took forever from them, literally I called them once about an issue I described through email, and my rep explained in perfect detail what I had told them. This was about a week after sending my email with no response leading me to believe that I was being ignored. The union also can and will raise their weekly deductions with very little advanced notice. Though the adjustment was slight it still made me unhappy. Even after I left they still sent me newsletters in the mail which made excellent firestarters but only stopped after I sent them an email explaining my lack of interest. All of this info leads me to one conclusion: They claim to be on your side, but at the end of the day they really don't care about you either way, as long as they continue to receive your after tax dollars that would otherwise be income and you keep quiet they will have no problem with you.

Lack of Communication: This was a serious issue as addressed earlier. Talking to my department manager proved easier than I once believed so this is mainly geared towards store management. No one is ever in the office. I honestly don't even know why it's there other than maybe paperwork and surveillance. Trying to talk to a store manger in private is a chore. A lot of the times they are wandering about the store or will tell you to wait another time if approached. The only real way to get their attention was to intercom them and feign that the matter you need to discuss is far more grave than it really is.

The Customers: I know I really shouldn't dive into this, but it was a very real and sometimes very annoying part of my job. Most the customers were fine, and I had no issues with them even if they had showed up at times when I needed to catch up since it really isn't their fault. However, there were some customers, sometimes even regulars I really dreaded dealing with. Some of the customers were overly polite, which may sound like no big deal, but I found it slightly annoying. I also tend to be a rather quiet person and I don't smile much, while most people really didn't care, there was that handful of customers who questioned if I disliked my work or asked if I was depressed. Then there were some customers who were downright rude or did not understand that the cash register for other items at Starbucks was only really for a small number of items when all other options are taken and not for a full cart of groceries. This however, isn't necessarily specific to Safeway, and I'm sure any retail job has its share of annoying customers.

Facilitate better communication. Do not dismiss unauthorized deductions. Be more reachable. Ditch the unions.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!