Safeway

www.safeway.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Pleasant

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with. No micro management from your superiors

Cons

You may find yourself been made to some things that are 'below' your job description. Incessant shrinking of labor budget mean fewer people doing more work with no allowance for overtime..

It seems some policy decision are made without due consideration for reality on the ground.

1384 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Being able to show your stuff and make a mark in the company.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst V in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst V in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you get into the right position, work can be interesting. Everyone is friendly and considers your needs. 10% off corporate brands in the stores.

Cons

Can't really think of any.

Continue to keep the worker bees informed of company initiatives and direction, within the legal boundaries, so workers don't get blindsided.

It was a very busy store and you were expected to do more than you could do. But I very much enjoyed the actual position

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I liked the pace. I liked hitting the ground running and seeing how much I could get done. I very much enjoyed my customers. I actually lost weight working in a bakery, because I did so much walking, lifting, and working with heaving things. I also definitely worked in the best smelling part of the store. If you are willing to work hard, you can be promoted quickly. They had employee appreciation events and did lots of community service and charity fundraising.

Cons

It could be overwhelming. Sometimes I felt like some of the things I had to do, like lifting and pulling and climbing were dangerous and I did see people get hurt. We were told to be safe, but expectations were very high, sometimes it felt like we were set up for failure. The company has decent benefits. Hours could vary wildly though, each department has to generate the income to pay it's employees their wages. I don't consider this a complaint against the company, but the department I worked in had a group of "mean girls" who had been there 5+ years and they were always getting mad about something and talking bad behind someone's back and even trying to get other people (like our manager, even!) fired. It was hard to work around them, they were so negative. Management was aware of them and tried to keep them in check, but it was nerve-wracking to work around, very unprofessional.

Keep your employees professional and don't allow high-school politics-type behavior. No one likes to work with bullies. More attention to safety procedures would be a good idea. If people working a certain job keep getting hurt, maybe we need a better way to do that job. Updating your dress code to reflect the community would be nice. It is silly to make people wear bandages over their tattoos.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway