Safeway

www.safeway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Good place to work, typical corporate atmosphere

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Flexible on vacation, 40 hour work weeks, low stress. You will be surrounded by people with only high school educations, so if you have a college degree you have a good edge over your peers. There's also a nice gym for employees to use.

Cons

Typical big office environment, you have to wear a tie every day. People here can be very stuffy, projects move along very slowly. Hard to initiate change.

Get rid of the ties!

1312 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Great high school and college job at the store level, but aim for corporate.

Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

-Union (Teamsters)
    -Impressive benefits (even for part-time workers)
    -High pay scale for cashiers (minimum wage to roughly $18/hr)
    -Very understanding of school schedule (so long as you inform them weeks in advance)
    -A college degree is not required to become a well paid store manager (granted, you do have to go through retail leadership training, but that is something you do through them)

Cons

-These are jobs, not careers (the store level does not offer an environment for considerable professional growth)
    -The pay level potential is good for the industry, but the length of time it takes to get there is probably not worth your time unless you start very early or get straight into management
    -College education is not paid for (although, provided you work full time in a management level position, they have a loan program)
    -The customer service attributes that you must meet for every customer you walk past/interact with can make you feel and look like a robot. Managers encourage us to "Kill [customers] with kindness." (Not to mention, you're performance is based upon secret shoppers reviews and, of course, how much managers like you)

- Encourage education and help employees develop their professional backgrounds so that they become well rounded managers and level headed corporate executives. Many employees here don't realize the importance of education.
    - More one on one time with managers. Nothing feels better than when a top manager swings by to tell you you're doing a great job of something specific.
    - Yes, we know that Safeway's customer service is a competitive advantage over other sizable grocers. But when a customer hears, "Hi, are you finding everything ok?," ten times in a single shopping trip, they're likely to be annoyed, complain, and leave.

Excellent Company to work! Some Mgmt. can make it the worst company

Former Employee - 10 Years In Stores, 8 Years At Corp Pleasanton in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Safeway was great. Started as a bagger, left as a Manager in Pleasanton Corp. Office. You can advance if you just follow directions and have half a pulse. Decent non-expensive cafetaria food at Corp. Pleasanton. Lunch is cheap there becasue they don't want you to leave the building. If from the store, you earn some of your stripes already. Healthcare benefits decent.

Cons

Pay not competitive nor near market rate for your position compared to other big box companies. Some of the Mgmt. don't get it (literally), very shallow. I'm a hard worker putting in at least 10 hours a day becasue ppl depend on me at corp. just like customers depend on me in the past to check out quickly. Some mgrs don't even realize what level of work product you produce. I bet employees at Corp. will not get a raise for FY ending 2009, But Safeway have an increase of cash on hand ready to pay out the execs. for their options.

If you don't treat your employees good at Corp, the Gap, Levi's, Kaiser (KPIT) & Ross will see an increase of resumes. For current Safeway Corp. Mgmt. reading this, if your staff is the main bread winner in their household, he/she will be on fence to leave becasue the pay is not so great. If you treat your staff like you wanted to be treated, they'll be loyal to you. I left Safeway because I won enough Lotto winnings to start a new career path. BTW, I purchace the winning ticket from the employee store in Pleasanton. Thanks Safeway for the love/hate relationship.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway