What does it take?

Current Employee - Full Time Food Clerk in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Full Time Food Clerk in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

I've worked foe Safeway for 30 years. The pay is decent and the benefits are quite good. My co-workers are great. I get plenty of vacation and getting certain days off is usually very easy.

Cons

Constantly barraged with soliciting charitable donations. This irritates many customers. Also, the company's new "customer service" policies are designed to force employees to drive sales rather than be courteous and helpful to the customers. Job recognition or positive feedback of any kind is non-existant. Rather, our jobs are threatened if we are not perfect on secret shopper reports.

Advice to Management

Provide ANY positive feedback!! Stop forcing us to hard-sell ad items to customers. Allow us to be courteous and friendly, and helpful to the people. We've got to stop losing good, friendly, popular employees because some secret shopper says we missed on some vaguely worded attribute.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It could be worse

Current Employee - Checker in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Checker in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Steady pay, union, relatively flexible hours

Cons

It's Safeway! The new secret shopper system.

Advice to Management

Show some interest in your employees.

A company with no understanding of communication

Current Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Management is usually good about giving requested time off. Flexible with hours. Rate of pay is decent for line of work. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Upper management has little to no contact with store level employees. The only feedback given is negative. The new customer service program is insulting to both employees and customers. Your entire experience with the company is based on store level management. A good or bad relationship with them will either save or endanger your job, regardless of job performance.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as if you want them to work for you. We are not the enemy, we are the reason you get a pay check.