There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

Good job

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Pharmacist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Slow and laid back atmosphere. I really enjoy having the extra time to provide service to the patients. They also pay very well and provide a great retirement package. The retirement is a noncontributory pension funded at 7-10% of salary. I worked at Walgreens before this and the difference in job satisfaction is like night and day. Unlike Walgreens, Safeway does not have drive through service. Safeway also provides tuition reimbursement based on the number of years of service. Additionally, thry are very focused on providing other services such as immunizations. Overall, I definitely recommend grocery store pharmacy versus the chains.

Cons

They keep it too cold.

learn to communicate to your employees better

1160 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Not the Best place to work at...

Current Employee - Department Manager in Norristown, PA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Norristown, PA

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

It does provide some job security if you can secure a full time position. Because of company policy layoffs are not a danger. If you are a minority the diversity program offers a very clear path to management if that is a direction employees wish to advance to. There are good health care plans for full time employees if you can afford to contribute for the coverage.

Cons

The wages and salary are fairly low even for full time employees. Because it is retail if you are full time you will rarely get a weekend or holiday off of work. Because there is not a lot of help available due to tight labor restrictions this makes adjustments in schedules more difficult if events occur outside of the work place.

I am gravely concerned about the degree to which Senior Management micromanages their employees. The company has a strange tendency to push some programs that could work if they were implemented with a broader strategy but because they focus on them so narrowly they often miss other elements that hurt the business just as much. Store managers are not given any freedom or latitude at all to actually manage and often feel constrained because of this. I understand that the grocery business is a tough business and I can respect this. But I truly believe senior management is really missing some great opportunities that could be made to improve the business if they stepped back from what they are promoting which has been ineffective for the company's results.

Company politics interfere with the business at hand

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

There is a good focus and understanding of work / life balance for employees. Corporate gym is a very nice benefit to have.

Cons

An extremely political organization. As a result the burn out rate is above average. Compensation is not competitive with other companies in the area or field of work. Upper management is full of a lot of old schoolers who learned how to do things back in the day and are unable to adapt their thinking to new times. "This is how we've always done it, and it is how we'll continue to do things."

Better dissemination of information to the workforce so we understand the strategy and focus of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway