Good, could be great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, offices, and tools to get the job done. At times they have some of the flexibility of a startup company. Plenty of team spirit.

Cons

Lacks any sense of urgency. At times they have some of the bureaucracy of a large, bloated enterprise. Too many legacy employees slowing down change.

Advice to Management

Get fired up!

Other Employee Reviews for Sage

Good, consistent company with little innovation or creativity

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Consistent, steady, good people, big customer base

Cons

Very bottom line focused, little investment in future technologies, very little investment in people (training, etc)

Advice to Management

Branch off a team or business unit for innovation, fund it, let them do some creative things

Sage North America - Sage ERP X3 - Sage Irvine

Current Employee - Applications Development in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Development in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get introduced into the exciting business and accounting software development environment. Have the ability to work with customers and industry-leading VAR's and software providers to gain a first-hand knowledge of what tools and products customers need to be successful in business. Get a hands-on experience in the experience you might encounter in your own business.

Cons

Sage is failing to live up to its Mission Statement in many ways in its new-focus-products (and in some harvest products) by failing to provide time (or) training, and failing to provide positive-reinforcement for improvement or growth. Talk about caring about our customers is just smoke and mirrors. Senior managers and executives don’t know the staff anymore, and some of said executives could act more professional and responsible. When the employee succeeds, it takes years for regular staff to be promoted or rewarded, especially in hard times (bad economy), but if the same employee has a difficult year, the company takes quick action to dismiss or penalize the employee. When an employee does fail, the company’s front-line managers and HR fail to deliver on promises to provide structured guidance for improvement. As a long-term employee, I am very disappointed in the company’s continued failures to provide growth opportunities for long-term employees who work in the trenches. Management members seem to come and go, continuously promoting themselves and friends, but seldom share the financial and growth woes when times are bad, and are quick to blame ONLY the economy or regular staff. The times of David Hanna & David Butler who provided a shared vision of responsibility and growth are gone, replaced instead by get-rich quick executives who drone on about ‘what we’re going to do differently’ during company meetings. Finally, I should be able to provide constructive criticism to my manager, as well as managers and executives above me on their performance & behavior – they should be judged by me as well. I’m no longer impressed, I’m re-educating myself, and updating my resume. It’s time to find a more customer/employee centric culture – it’s no longer Sage.

Advice to Management

Re-educate yourself, hold yourself to the same standards at which regular employees are held. All executives and managers should act with dignity and integrity toward all staff, and should treat staff with dignity. Keep your promises, share the growth opportunities, and wealth; get rid of needless managers, act more professional and get to know the people who work for you. HR and managers should keep their promises (assist with improvement, and self improvement). Replace the leave-of-absence system for it is error-prone and has proved that several employees were paid incorrectly for a period of not-less than 3 pay-periods and no one could provide a straight answer till the damage was done. Find out what employees need to succeed and provide it; don't ask if you aren't going to make improvements (you lose my respect when you make excuses). Rather than blaming / penalizing staff at review time, help the employee succeed before they fail. Get the EURO development (coders) staff on board for X3. They treat Irvine with disdain and speak "above" staff. Fix the performance improvement process and the ill-conceived system that is used. The performance improvement process, let alone the system we use, is abhorred or laughed at by most staff, and the entire process really doesn't provide any value in guiding employees to success.