Saint Mary's College

www.saintmarys.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Saint Mary's College

Overall work experience

I have been working at Saint Mary's College

Pros

SMC does a great job when it comes to work-life balance and benefits. Because it is an educational environment, managers are understanding of the needs of various constituent groups and I have yet to encounter a time where I did not feel like my needs were respected and valued.

Cons

The only downside to SMC is that it is in a small city and is often overshadowed by Notre Dame across the street. It makes it difficult to do your job fully and completely when others compare you to ND which is a much larger institution with more students and resources.

I have truly enjoyed working at Saint Mary's. I think that the leadership does a good job with keeping us informed and being transparent. Just keep doing what we are doing and hold our own course.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Saint Mary's College (View Most Recent)

Small private liberal arts College

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Notre Dame, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Notre Dame, IN

I have been working at Saint Mary's College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance for faculty; expectations are reasonable considering the salaries

Cons

Very heavily tuition driven. As higher ed becomes more expensive, fewer students are looking to shell out big bucks for a liberal arts education. Since the budget relies almost solely on tuition, institution is going to need to get creative to keep up in today's economy.

Great for students, substandard for staff

I have been working at Saint Mary's College full-time

Pros

- Generous vacation for administrators. Starts at 22 days per year (also remains at 22 days per year regardless of amount of time worked)
    - "Bonus" vacation days between Christmas and New Year's Day
    - Tuition remission at Saint Mary's College, University of Notre Dame, and a variety of other colleges across the United States
    - Excellent faculty committed to mentoring students
    - Good employer contribution to 403b plans. Starts at 6% for first two years and increases to 10% after two-year vesting period.

Cons

- Wages substantially below industry standards coupled with lack of raises. Administration claims to have no money in the budget for raises.
    - Benefit costs keep increasing with no raises to offset these increases. Takehome pay decreases yearly.
    - Lack of opportunities for professional growth and no mentoring program. Have numerous baby boomers working at the college and other staff aren't being sufficiently trained on how to perform their roles for when they retire.
    - Many departments are understaffed, several have had layoffs for budgetary reasons, and those left in the departments are expected to complete the work of more than one position.
    - Unpaid overtime expected in most salaried positions.
    - Difficulty attracting and retaining quality talent in key positions due to low pay and high workload
    - Morale is poor throughout campus

Look for ways to improve morale among employees. Offer mentoring programs to allow professional growth. Replace habitually rude or ineffective employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Saint Mary's College