Merchandise Assistant- Saks Off Fifth

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate- Saks Off Fifth
Current Employee - Merchandise Associate- Saks Off Fifth

I have been working at Saks part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, fun work environment, 20-30% employee discount

Cons

Poor planning and marketing strategies, Corporate seems out-of-touch with store needs, low pay and little room for career growth, wide fluctuations in hours scheduled from week-to-week

Advice to Management

Simplify! The complexity and frequency of new promotions is confusing to customers and employees. Need stronger managers at store and corporate level. Buyers need to be more in touch with target audience.

Other Employee Reviews for Saks

I enjoyed working at Saks

I have been working at Saks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had an amazing experience and grew my career in retail with Saks. My GM and SVP were great people to work for.

Cons

HR needs to get better and remain professional at all times.

Micromanaging, disorganized hierarchical and a real disappointment. demoralizing place to work.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Saks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to the best designers. Some very talented people. High end retail. Clean environment.

Cons

There's a lot. Technology is woefully behind competitors like Nordstom. Management is overbearing and treats associates like infants. Stores are basically just a showroom light in inventory. You are competing with your own dot com site. Slew of Event after event after event with confusing and sometimes misleading rules. Way Too many events to have meaning. Associates and store management are generally negative in their outlook. You will Never hear a sincere or positive compliment from top management or store management. Front line people never can make a decision without asking for a managers approval. Definitely not an empowering type place. Pay is better for the seasonal person than it is for regular associates. Which Makes no sense. No opportunity to go into management. It does not seem to support diversity - especially in manager role!?? If you like to be treated like an infant then this is the place for you. If you have a brain and are looking to grow save yourself the trouble and don't waste your time applying here there is better.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Go out into the retail landscape and see who and how some of your competition is doing it better and get off your high horses. Eliminate the redundant upper management jobs that create a culture of mine first and narrow down your focus on being great in a few things instead of always trying to be all to all. It's time to Really empower people too. We are adults. Improve your communication, training and technology systems. They all lack! Make your company truly omni-channel. There is No reason why the dot com and FL stores have to fight and compete over customer because one offers free shipping and the other doesn't. Finally make your events mean something. Get rid of half of them and let the remaining ones be bigger and let customers and employees enjoy them. We will do better. It is a good company. But it's got problems.