There are newer employer reviews for Salans

Good learning environment for associate attorneys

Former Employee - Associate Attorney  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

I worked at Salans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As background: I was a litigation associate for several years.
Good opportunities to learn and grow, particularly as junior and mid-level associates. Specialization (beyond basic department, such as litigation, M&A, IP, etc.) was not required--in fact, was essentially impossible. That lack of specialization allowed junior lawyers to get their feet wet with many different types of tasks and clients. Work hours were usually reasonable (for big law). Partners were approachable, and often took an active interest in your career and skill development. It was a very pleasant and friendly place to work. The associates, particularly, got along very well with each other.

Cons

The lack of specialization can become a downside if you're looking to move somewhere else. Further, the litigation and IP positions don't lend themselves to easily transferring out of the law firm environment (i.e., in-house or government).

2 Other Employee Reviews for Salans (View Most Recent)

Excellent name, worse relations

Current Employee - Evening Assistant  in  Prague (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Evening Assistant in Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Salans

Pros

As for me, there are two best reasons to work for Salans. First of all, it is its name and international recognition - as it is one of the world's leading law firms it kind of feels good being part of the "big family". However, there is an enormous lack of respect of the "lower" positions than the lawyers. It may just be a local thing because I haven't seen such a behaviour of the Senior staff to their assistants and secretaries elsewhere. The morale in the company is also quite good since the lawyers demand certain standards and expect you to stick to those, e.g. the dress code.

Cons

The worst thing in my office is the lack of respect from lawyers to other staff (secretaries, assistants, librarians). This lack of respect surely contributes to a "dense" atmosphere in the office. Another thing is the office itself. The office should be based in an office building, but definitely not where our office building is based.

More oral communication and respect for the junior management would surely help.ore

There are newer employer reviews for Salans

Worked for Salans? Contribute to the Community!