Salesforce

www.salesforce.com
  www.salesforce.com
There are newer employer reviews for Salesforce

Work Hard, Play Hard.....and keep your phone on at ALL times.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive (EBU) in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive (EBU) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work among the smartest and most talented people in the world, AND I get to sell one of the most incredible, most innovative technologies in the world.

The offices are incredible, the benefits are amazing, the perks are enjoyable and our CEO is admired across the world.

Cons

The company is growing so fast that its hard to keep up with the new hires and also be available to answer questions to help onboard newbies.

My job is to sell. Period. BUT, every week there is something new I have to do (Take a survey, Attend a Training, Get Certified on a new technology, Update my V2MOM, Update my performance review, attend a product session, attend a partner session, etc. Its a bit overwhelming at times.

Dont become Oracle 2.0. Dont bring politics or social issues inside the company that could potentially drive wedges or create division.

1078 Other Employee Reviews for Salesforce (View Most Recent)

good place to work, but not completely rosy

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Agile development rocks. The whole company does agile and synchronized scrums and sprints. It relieves a lot of the pressure of making exact time estimates associated with the waterfall model.

Moving to other groups is possible if you get bored. (Horizontal moves are easy; horizontal and vertical moves are possible but more difficult.) There are a number of interesting projects here.

They are very good about telecommuting and remote working. However, see caveats in "Cons" section.

There's a big emphasis on security and learning about security has been pretty fun.

The kitchens are nice and well-stocked, including cereal, soymilk, almond milk, luna bars, clif bars, and 100's of beverages.

As with all the tech companies I've worked at, the people are smart and have a great sense of humor.

GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) and MacOSX can be run on your desktop machines, which is nice for doing development.

Cons

Running Linux as your sole operating system on your laptop is verboten; only Windows and MacOSX are acceptable.

On Windows, the universe of available installable software is limited. There are some ways around it, but mostly you are restricted to whatever software they give you. As a Windows user, attempting to do the same development you would do on your desktop machine is painful.

Getting some things done via IT is quite onerous and slow-going. For example, I never got my desktop phone going, despite submitting a trouble ticket.

The software development environment is difficult. The code base is huge and you can make only tiny changes which eventually get in. (Code reviews and QA are great, of course, but only small, incremental changes are possible with such a large existing code base.) Everything is in Java with a standard database back-end. Using any other programming language or another database probably won't pass the muster of the security team.

Although generous remote working is permitted, support for remote working is not great. There is nothing like Microsoft Polycom or Cisco TelePresence for most meetings, which make them difficult to follow. Gotomeeting and Skype can only get you so far. Also, at least in my particular group, people were not very good at replying to Chatter posts or email messages. IM is very poorly supported; using a Jabber-compliant client like Adium or Pidgin is impossible and it is difficult getting people's notice from afar.

Put a little more pressure on IT to make the software development environment more pleasant, especially allowing people to run alternative operating systems on their laptops.

Allow developers to use other languages besides Java and alternative database back-ends. This could increase productivity.

Be driven to have better support for remote employees. There needs to be a culture of being responsive to people working off-site.

Best place to launch

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-positive management, collaboration among peers, easy on PTO and WANT to see you succeed

Cons

Constantly changed ROE, comp plans, internal hiring can be sketchy

Take the time to train 1:1 to make sure nobody slips through the cracks