Salesforce.com

www.salesforce.com

Growing very fast

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time

Pros

1. A lot of autonomy
2. Customer focussed company

Cons

1. Not very engineering centric organization

Other Reviews for Salesforce.com

If there was somewhere else better...I'd be there... But yep, it has it's problems...

Current Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The best product by far...bar none. The best visionaries, technical ops (the guys that keep the platform up and running), and internal platform engineers on the planet - these are the guys that deserve all the glory. What is done behind the scenes to keep the app going is nothing short of amazing - several million concurrent users while constantly adding functionality and innovating...and no down time? Come on. It's ridiculous.

The tenured and long-timers that are still around are incredible. They're not only the best in the company, they're the best in the industry. Prove yourself to them and they will take care of you.

If YOU have the drive and the ability, you can build a career path in the company...and if YOU make a case and have something behind it, it's one of the few companies in the world that will allow you to do so. Salesforce will not give you a map when you're hired that shows you a career path...but if you succeed in the role you're giving and prove yourself and earn trust, they'll actually allow you to create your own.

The culture of the company is like nothing else in the world. Yes...you are expected to work more than anywhere else in the world...but if you like philanthropy, no questions asked...go do it - on company time.

The best in the business keep coming on board.

Marc is the best CEO in the business - different for sure - but the best.

For a few years I thought the company had plateaued...several different times (at $750M...at $1B..at $2B...)...but I really do see this company making it to $10B in rev and beyond. Without a doubt.

So if you're considering joining Salesforce but are worried about growth, don't be. That should be the last of your concerns.

Cons

"Fillers". I call them "fillers" because that's what they are...people that were hired in haste to simple fill roles in an organization that is growing so fast, they had to be hired quickly. While they may have gone through multiple rounds of interviews, it seems there are many execs that got through that shouldn't have and are just filling a role in the org chart. And they don't do s*&^. They may have had extremely successful positions at other companies, but Salesforce isn't like other companies. They only slow you down...so if you're smart and have your i's dotted and t's crossed, just go over them and it's not really looked down upon.

Tomorrow. You're only as good as the deal you have committed tomorrow. Doesn't matter if you're at 200% of quota for the year 6 months into it ...that actually only amplifies what is expected of you. It's a con...but in reality...it's also not too bad...unless you're in a Sales role that isn't an AE (i.e. SE) because you're capped. Salesforce has the SE's I've ever come across in the industry, and I don't think they're treated as fairly as they should be.

Marketeering. This is a new issue at Salesforce... It used to be the case that marketing & PM were in line and no one sold on futures. Over the past 12 months, that has changed...moving closer to an Oracle-like model where the vision is pitched and then they try to build it.

Equity. I'm not sure who is getting it, but it isn't long term sales people. Seekingalpha? They couldn't be more wrong. Granted, the ESPP program is fantastic, but once you get beyond entry level, it would be nice to see something. It can be disheartening to hear RVP's (in 2012 I swear they only brought in people as RVP's..."What? You're an RVP of WHAT? And have no reports?!?!?") and other new employees talking about selling their RSU's or options when they haven't really done anything for the company yet and you've committed the better part of a decade.

Commit. This is probably the biggest "Con" at Salesforce if you're an AE or in sales. Salesforce is an accurate machine...it really is...based on the subscription model, a great portion of deferred rev is already established and known...but they want your sales opps just as accurate and mgmt will force or override you on your deals if you think differently.

Territory. Don't come to Salesforce thinking you'll be able to pick and choose. It was picked over 5 years ago. You'll more than likely get something you don't want. End of discussion. While it seems like it should be the biggest "con", it's not. Because everything I listed in the "Pros" section means you will constantly have something new and innovative to sell to that minuscule territory you have that no one else can.

I mentioned in the "Pros" section that some of the long-termers (those that have been around 10+ years) are one of the best things about the company. They ARE. There are also a handful of high level execs that just need to go...they don't do anything...they show up at meetings and say hello and leave... and you better keep your mouth shut. It sucks. Because at one time they were amazing. Now, just awful.

Slow the "Marketeering".

Equity for the "Do-ers" not the "New-ers".

A whirlwind of insanity

Former Employee - Writing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Writing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce.com as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The money was good while it lasted and they never asked for my laptop back. ;)

Cons

I was brought in to write remotely and went through many phone interviews. When I was finally hired on, the work they really wanted me to do had little to do with what they acted like they wanted in the interviews. ("real journalism", they said.) In reality, they just wanted me to regurgitate junk and write as quickly as I could. All I heard back from the numerous e-books I was expected to spit out everyday, was "awesome," "awesome," until by the 8th week, without warning I was told that the budget for my position has mysteriously disappeared. Overall, it was a deeply impersonal experience. And quite jarring. But it gave me some good material for my writing.

Uh, watch the chain of command trickle down in these numerous orbiting silos operating under Salesforce.com. The people working there have little to do with espousing the warm and personal philosophy I hear about the company. What I dealed with was very out of step with anything resembling humanity.

There are newer employer reviews for Salesforce.com.

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!