Sallie Mae

www.salliemae.com

A great place to work with benefits & flexibility

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Fishers, IN

ProsAs long as the work is getting done and deadlines are being met - I have found that my schedule is VERY flexible. I have found most people to be very friendly and helpful. I have also found that most people are not trying to claw their way thru you to better themselves. In the past, the company has been very employee focused by having special celebration days, team building activities and offering extra days off (Dec 26th is a holiday this year). These are not huge gestures like tons of stock or extra money but the little things can mean a lot - especially in this crazy economy.

ConsManagement is not always looking for ways to better their team or how to get their folks promoted. Promotions seem to come every other month for some employees and take many, many years for others. Some teams seem to have new promotions often and other teams go years without any promotions. Also, the work is not always spread out to the best benefit of the company. Some teams are highly overloaded and some teams are sitting on their hands. They have a long way to go in their project management. Some of the progress is caused by the teams themselves - just against change - and management is not very forceful about implementing the proposed change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to see that all of the employees are getting opportunities to advance in their skills and their careers. Honestly let them know what they need to complete to reach that next level and how to get on the right path. If you want employees to think of their work as more than just a paycheck, then management has to treat them as more than just someone being paid to do a job. Provide unplanned & honest feedback often (for the good & the bad).

Too demanding during peak season...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Killeen, TX

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros: You are doing relatively easy work, and your job tasks are demonstrated repeatedly during several weeks of paid training (instructor performs the tasks, students pay… Cons: You're expected to work lots of overtime during the peak season-- it is voluntary at first, but if enough people do not volunteer then employees… Advice to Senior Management: I have no advice that I would give to Senior… More

Loan Shark

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Wilkes Barre, PA

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros: Sallie Mae paid very well. They feed off the local colleges to con students to perform seasonal jobs (hoping some will be stupid enough to… Cons: Management was inconsiderate and unconcerned of the negative side of this job. It was normal to have borrowers call in screaming and yelling about either… Advice to Senior Management: Do not treat employees as replaceable idiots. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sallie Mae.

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!