There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae

A great place to work with benefits & flexibility

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fishers, IN
Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

As long as the work is getting done and deadlines are being met - I have found that my schedule is VERY flexible. I have found most people to be very friendly and helpful. I have also found that most people are not trying to claw their way thru you to better themselves. In the past, the company has been very employee focused by having special celebration days, team building activities and offering extra days off (Dec 26th is a holiday this year). These are not huge gestures like tons of stock or extra money but the little things can mean a lot - especially in this crazy economy.

Cons

Management is not always looking for ways to better their team or how to get their folks promoted. Promotions seem to come every other month for some employees and take many, many years for others. Some teams seem to have new promotions often and other teams go years without any promotions. Also, the work is not always spread out to the best benefit of the company. Some teams are highly overloaded and some teams are sitting on their hands. They have a long way to go in their project management. Some of the progress is caused by the teams themselves - just against change - and management is not very forceful about implementing the proposed change.

Advice to Management

Try to see that all of the employees are getting opportunities to advance in their skills and their careers. Honestly let them know what they need to complete to reach that next level and how to get on the right path. If you want employees to think of their work as more than just a paycheck, then management has to treat them as more than just someone being paid to do a job. Provide unplanned & honest feedback often (for the good & the bad).

reviews filtered by
  1. Too demanding during peak season...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Killeen, TX

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

You are doing relatively easy work, and your job tasks are demonstrated repeatedly during several weeks of paid training (instructor performs the tasks, students pay attention and are then able to perform the same tasks on their own classroom computers in a demo version of the computer system used. You receive (sometimes weekly/sometimes biweekly) constant feedback on your performance and the calls you've taken. There is an on site cafeteria that is easily accessible and is also affordable. It's seasonal work, but if you perform well enough, you may be hired as a permanent employment at the end of your term.

Cons

You're expected to work lots of overtime during the peak season-- it is voluntary at first, but if enough people do not volunteer then employees are forced to work overtime. The job can get boring, as you're at your desk all day long taking calls, but you somewhat realize that when you take the job. Also, irate callers are always a pain-- for example if someone angry and upset calls because they have a late fee and want you to waive it, and you tell them late fees won't be waived as you're instructed to do, they demand to speak with a manager and, of course they get their fees waived and feel like they've "won."

Advice to Management

I have no advice that I would give to Senior Management.

Loan Shark

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilkes Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilkes Barre, PA

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

Sallie Mae paid very well. They feed off the local colleges to con students to perform seasonal jobs (hoping some will be stupid enough to stay on as full time employees). Fellow employees were friendly most of the time. They tried to work with your schedule at times, although not during peak season (May through September). Benefits were great compared to other companies in the area, but they did not make up for the demands Sallie Mae placed on the job. Working in another department might be a slightly better position to have, although I would highly doubt it (unless you are management)

Cons

Management was inconsiderate and unconcerned of the negative side of this job. It was normal to have borrowers call in screaming and yelling about either the high interest rate, the total amount they would have to repay, the lengthy amount of time it took to process the loan, or screaming while attempting to fraud the company. In spite of all that, you were expected to stay on the phone until your scheduled 10 minute break (we had 2 of them for an 8.5 hour shift) or your 30 minute lunch. If you were not on the phone, you would be called and "checked on" to make sure you're still alive. It was not uncommon to have either a break removed or your lunch shortened due to certain conditions that were out of our hands (such as the system going down for a a brief period of time). On top of that, we were REQUIRED to have X number of ours overtime per week (could be as much as 15 hours). The cafeteria closed at 3pm everyday (note that second shift worked from 2:30 to 11pm). There were no fast food restaurants with in 15 minutes drive of the business, which left the only option of bringing your own lunch. Although they eventually extended the cafeteria's hours (after numerous requests) to 5pm, 2nd shift's lunch was not scheduled until 6-7pm. After all of that, managers had the nerve to force employees to go home early on slow days to save money and increase call volume for remaining employees. Granted, I have no problem if the employees were willing to leave (which most were), I do not feel it was right to force employees to leave 20 minutes before the end of their shift (so they would not have to pay the last half hour of the employees shift)

Advice to Management

Do not treat employees as replaceable idiots.