Sallie Mae

www.salliemae.com

Used to be better...

Anonymous - IT (Current Employee) Fishers, IN

ProsGood PTO policy - but could be better, and there is no formal comp time policy for exempt employees. If you don´t mind being on call 24/7 and working 60+ hours a week it´s not a bad place to work.

Some divisions have different policies, and so this review may not pertain to all divisions. There used to be a strong focus on training, and setting firm career path goals and achievements, and this still exists in some places. I would strongly recommend you talk about the opportunities and career path options before you accept a position.

Management staff are generally respectful, although budget cuts have forced some divisions to do more with less, and so the work load and stress levels have went up.

ConsFrequent mass terminations, out sourcing, off shoring, and general job abolishment. Seasoned employees are let go, and then new call centers are opened where the company can pay less.

Benefits packages have been reduced every year for the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your most valuable resource and ultimately will make the difference in the success of the companies objectives. Cutting compensation (pay or benefits) is not a wise path long term. Some of our seasoned employees have left, and took with them knowledge and skills that we have invested a lot in. In most cases, this is far more significant than the cost savings you may see.

A great place to work with benefits & flexibility

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Fishers, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros: As long as the work is getting done and deadlines are being met - I have found that my schedule is VERY flexible. I… Cons: Management is not always looking for ways to better their team or how to get their folks promoted. Promotions seem to come every other… Advice to Senior Management: Try to see that all of the employees are getting opportunities to advance in their skills and their careers. Honestly let them know what… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Too demanding during peak season...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Killeen, TX

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros: You are doing relatively easy work, and your job tasks are demonstrated repeatedly during several weeks of paid training (instructor performs the tasks, students pay… Cons: You're expected to work lots of overtime during the peak season-- it is voluntary at first, but if enough people do not volunteer then employees… Advice to Senior Management: I have no advice that I would give to Senior… More
There are newer reviews on Sallie Mae.

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!