Sallie Mae
www.salliemae.com Newark, DE 5000+ Employees

Used to be better...

Anonymous - IT (Current Employee)
Fishers, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae

ProsGood PTO policy - but could be better, and there is no formal comp time policy for exempt employees. If you don´t mind being on call 24/7 and working 60+ hours a week it´s not a bad place to work.

Some divisions have different policies, and so this review may not pertain to all divisions. There used to be a strong focus on training, and setting firm career path goals and achievements, and this still exists in some places. I would strongly recommend you talk about the opportunities and career path options before you accept a position.

Management staff are generally respectful, although budget cuts have forced some divisions to do more with less, and so the work load and stress levels have went up.

ConsFrequent mass terminations, out sourcing, off shoring, and general job abolishment. Seasoned employees are let go, and then new call centers are opened where the company can pay less.

Benefits packages have been reduced every year for the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your most valuable resource and ultimately will make the difference in the success of the companies objectives. Cutting compensation (pay or benefits) is not a wise path long term. Some of our seasoned employees have left, and took with them knowledge and skills that we have invested a lot in. In most cases, this is far more significant than the cost savings you may see.

Too demanding during peak season...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Killeen, TX

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros: You are doing relatively easy work, and your job tasks are demonstrated repeatedly during several weeks of paid training (instructor performs the tasks, students pay… Cons: You're expected to work lots of overtime during the peak season-- it is voluntary at first, but if enough people do not volunteer then employees… Advice to Senior Management: I have no advice that I would give to Senior… More

Loan Shark

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Wilkes Barre, PA

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros: Sallie Mae paid very well. They feed off the local colleges to con students to perform seasonal jobs (hoping some will be stupid enough to… Cons: Management was inconsiderate and unconcerned of the negative side of this job. It was normal to have borrowers call in screaming and yelling about either… Advice to Senior Management: Do not treat employees as replaceable idiots. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Sallie Mae.

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sallie Mae reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sallie Mae CEO John (Jack) F. Remondi. All reviews posted anonymously by Sallie Mae employees.