Sallie Mae

www.salliemae.com
  www.salliemae.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae

Good place to start in a professional work place

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Killeen, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Killeen, TX

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

Good professional work environment, onsite gym and cafeteria. very supportive of education as long as it does not interfer with work. Lots of employer sponsored moral type events. They do hire seasonal employees so its a good job for a college student. Pay was decent as seasonal. $10 hr.

Cons

Its a call center so it can be unpredictable work hours. Shift bids based on attendance and performace which can be downside if you are a newbie. Most people are locked to set hours for 6 month periods of time until next shift bid which is done based on attendance, performance and ranking with peers.

None I was pleased

161 Other Employee Reviews for Sallie Mae (View Most Recent)

Used to be better...

Current Employee - Anonymous - IT in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous - IT in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

Good PTO policy - but could be better, and there is no formal comp time policy for exempt employees. If you don´t mind being on call 24/7 and working 60+ hours a week it´s not a bad place to work.

Some divisions have different policies, and so this review may not pertain to all divisions. There used to be a strong focus on training, and setting firm career path goals and achievements, and this still exists in some places. I would strongly recommend you talk about the opportunities and career path options before you accept a position.

Management staff are generally respectful, although budget cuts have forced some divisions to do more with less, and so the work load and stress levels have went up.

Cons

Frequent mass terminations, out sourcing, off shoring, and general job abolishment. Seasoned employees are let go, and then new call centers are opened where the company can pay less.

Benefits packages have been reduced every year for the past few years.

Your employees are your most valuable resource and ultimately will make the difference in the success of the companies objectives. Cutting compensation (pay or benefits) is not a wise path long term. Some of our seasoned employees have left, and took with them knowledge and skills that we have invested a lot in. In most cases, this is far more significant than the cost savings you may see.

A great place to work with benefits & flexibility

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

As long as the work is getting done and deadlines are being met - I have found that my schedule is VERY flexible. I have found most people to be very friendly and helpful. I have also found that most people are not trying to claw their way thru you to better themselves. In the past, the company has been very employee focused by having special celebration days, team building activities and offering extra days off (Dec 26th is a holiday this year). These are not huge gestures like tons of stock or extra money but the little things can mean a lot - especially in this crazy economy.

Cons

Management is not always looking for ways to better their team or how to get their folks promoted. Promotions seem to come every other month for some employees and take many, many years for others. Some teams seem to have new promotions often and other teams go years without any promotions. Also, the work is not always spread out to the best benefit of the company. Some teams are highly overloaded and some teams are sitting on their hands. They have a long way to go in their project management. Some of the progress is caused by the teams themselves - just against change - and management is not very forceful about implementing the proposed change.

Try to see that all of the employees are getting opportunities to advance in their skills and their careers. Honestly let them know what they need to complete to reach that next level and how to get on the right path. If you want employees to think of their work as more than just a paycheck, then management has to treat them as more than just someone being paid to do a job. Provide unplanned & honest feedback often (for the good & the bad).

There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae