Sallie Mae - Good place!

Current Employee - IT Staff in Fishers, IN
Current Employee - IT Staff in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sallie Mae offers a great work environment with lots of great people. People are the best part of Sallie Mae as we all try to provide the best service internally and externally to our customers. People come and go to the company and, regarding those that leave, the grass is not always greener elsewhere and some would like to come back. The company is constantly adjusting course to move in the most productive direction for our customers and investors. We promote responsibility to our student borrowers with a 1-2-3 approach: free money, government money, then private money.

Cons

The regulatory risk is the overarching con to this company or industry in general. It is in the news a lot lately. Sallie Mae appears to run a lean IT shop by controlling expenses.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the employees informed as you are currently doing. It helps knowing that we are all working toward the same goals.

Other Employee Reviews for Sallie Mae

Awful company to work from from top to bottom

Former Employee - Web Marketing Manager in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Web Marketing Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation average benefits onsite gym Ok middle management teams uPromise

Cons

Senior Management Management Poor Strategy non competitive product Poor Branding

Advice to Management

Sell to an experienced firm

2. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Fishers, IN

Pros

The salary is fair for the position. Most positions have weekends off and the latest shift end time is 9 pm. Also, this location had several conveniences on-site, such as a store and a buffet-style cafeteria.

Cons

As anyone who has ever worked at a call center knows, the call center life can become very redundant as the day to day is the same.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with agents and less time hiding behind the desk. The only complaint that I have about my experience at Sallie Mae is that the supervisors did not spend much time with their agents.